PDA

View Full Version : Daniels/Osborne Knives

Tim Adlam
10-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Some recent projects that I've had the pleasure to engrave.
Two Alex Daniels folders...a large Sheffield folding bowie, with a nice gentleman's knife,
and an exceptional Warren Osborne folder.

Alex Daniels Knives
The client requested a "period look" on the bowie, and "something that fits" on the gent's knife.
When it comes to designing panels on knives, sometimes I like to change them up a bit
rather than just mirror the pattern to the other side.
In these two examples I chose that route.
Although the base-pattern is similar, there are still variances that make each one unique and hopefully interesting.

http://www.fototime.com/22B5B2AB34CC945/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/AAAB698136BA9D5/orig.jpg

Warren Osborne Knife
This Osborne folder is a work-in-progress.
[The flip-side of this knife will have the pattern mirrored to the best of my ability]
I took a different approach mainly with the amount of gold work applied, and a little radical [for me] border treatment.
I use a chemical oxidizer as a foundation treatment for the background, later I will use a thin film enamel upon completion.

http://www.fototime.com/B21D5C837DF48D6/orig.jpg

I find it useful to keep track of my time now and then.
According to my work-log, I have 22.5 hours invested on the front bolster.
I use a work diary more as a way to measure efficiency and economy-of-motion, rather than a dollar per hour barometer.
I know a time/money balance has to be acheived at some point, but some projects [like this one] allow me an opportunity
to reach for "personal best" regardless of the time involved.

http://www.fototime.com/4570B73F211D852/orig.jpg

I hope you find this work interesting, and I welcome any comments, questions or critques.

Tim

DGrub
10-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Tim, Keep getting "radical"!!!! Looks very nice to me. Hope I can do half that well someday.
Dan

Ray Cover
10-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Nice stuff Tim.

I like the formal design on the first two. That last one aint to shabby either:whoo:

Ray

PS Are we still planning to do Tulsa in April?

Rich Hambrook
10-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Tim,
Very beautiful and creative work. I need to get into the knife market. It looks like a lot of fun! I just don't know where to start. Keep up the excellent work.
Rich

Tim Adlam
10-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the comments guys!

Ray, Tulsa's still a go at this point.
Rich, I may be of help to you in regards to the knife work.
A PM has been sent to your mailbox.

Tim

Ray Cover
10-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Rich,

The best way to break into the knife work is ot get examples of your work out on knives.

Post photos on the forums, do a couple of the major shows, a website would be a good idea.

The quality of your work is definitely good enough. I don't think it would take long for you to build a clientèle.

Ray

rod
10-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Tim,

These examples of your work are an inspiration, and thank you for posting them with such great clarity!

best

Rod

Herman Knives
02-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Tim, I love the way the borders are narrow in the center and expand out at both ends on the Osborne! Very cool effect. Very nice overall piece.

Tom McArdle
02-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Tim,

That Osborne engraving work is stunning! :hurray:

Very inspiring, I really enjoy seeing it.

I'm finally getting off of my butt to go after the knife market too.

Take care,

Tom

D.DOUGLAS
02-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Tim, Those are very tasty! Love your work.

Tim Adlam
02-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the nice comments.

Tim

Ray Negron
02-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Tim,

I am new to the metal engraving work I have spent my time in working on the wood end. But I seen many engraving on guns and knife in many parts of the world during my field work. I have learn to appreciate good engraving when I see one and these two knife has all the technics I seen before and they have been nicely done. Great Job I hope one day my ability to engrave on metal can reach by me. Great work:hurray: :hurray:

Ray

Tim Adlam
02-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Thank you Ray, and welcome to the forum!

There's alot of talent among the members here and I hope you will share examples of your work too.

Tim

ddushane
03-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Beautiful work Tim! Dwayne