PDA

View Full Version : Seahorse Knife

tsterling
10-26-2007, 11:07 PM
A tiny little seahorse knife, carved in carbon steel, completely in the round. A lot of effort, I learned a lot, but lots of fun. I used forge/anvil/hammers, angle grinder, belt grinder, bandsaw, drill press, air engraver, abrasive pads and carbide burs. Damn near every tool in the studio, and all on a three inch (7.62 centimeter) knife. I still need more toys...and maybe some professional help...

Thanks for looking

http://www.sterlingsculptures.com/forumposts/Seahorse_Knife.jpg

Dave London
11-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Tom
Real nice work thanks for showing your art, more a work of sculpture. Did you use the airgraver to carve parts.
I have used a round graver to carve parts of leaves to give the depth. Thanks again Dave:cheers2:

tsterling
11-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks, Dave. I did use the airgraver for quite a bit of it, especially around the coiled bit of the tail and the head. I like to use the airgraver anywhere I need a smooth edge (as in outlining). Just using burs to outline will yield a "wobbly" edge. I've found you can get away with a lot as long as the edges are crisp and smooth. The viewer's eye seems to seek out the edges and notice if they are a little wonky, the eye seems much less critical about background areas.