PDA

View Full Version : Pleasant Grove, Utah

Ak-
09-26-2014, 08:03 PM
I live in in Pleasant Grove, Utah, and would like to visit someone in the Salt Lake Valley to see engraving being done and maybe try doing it also. I would consider traveling outside the area.

I'm 68, but I think I can learn engraving.

dogcatcher
09-27-2014, 09:28 AM
Welcome and good luck.

I am in about the same boat as you are, about the same age, retired and adding engraving as a hobby. I am a woodturner that makes game calls, and have chosen engraving to try to enhance my duck calls. I am in no hurry, and don't want to spend the big dollars for the modern equipment. At this time hand pushing and a little hammering is about my limit. What happens with the future equipment desires, who knows.

I started this journey as an experiment to help me with my shallow relief woodcarving. The engraving designs are helpful and my ideas have started to come together as I mess up one piece of metal and wood at a time. When I get it all together my plans are on helping other callmakers get started in engraving and showing them the benefits of adding this to the art of their callmaking.

Ak-
10-04-2014, 09:08 PM
Hi Dogcatcher,
Making game calls sounds like a great hobby. I am a rifle hunter, and want to put lipstick on a couple of my pigs. Hehehe. I have a few old guns that I can engrave after I feel I have learned enough to start on something besides practice metal.
I have an engraving DVD, and a sketch book, so you are well ahead of me.
Thank you for the reply.
Gordon