PDA

View Full Version : scroll and letter practice

Gail
11-02-2007, 09:11 PM
I had fun cutting this 1018 steel. It is my first practice since eye surgery in Sept. It was done from some drawings done before that.
I took a wrong turn and got lost down there on the lower rt.
It is sooo wonderful to have my vision returning, and now I can see my mistakes even as I make them! Couldn't resist putting the torch on it for some color.........life is fun again!
Comments and criticisms are welcome, and I know my photography is not too good either. You can just call me 'happy eyes' from now on, though.
gailm

jdveritas
11-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Nice goin Gail, looks like you've got a great eye for design, Congratulations on the return of your vision and your happiness. How long have you been engraving, and what is your art background? Jim

Dave London
11-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Gail
Nice work and glad your eyes are OK

Gail
11-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks jd, and Dave,
I did graduate from college with a major in fine arts. (many years ago), and I was a Crown & Bridge tech to fund tuition. My first love however, has been horses, and I spent 30+ years as a professional trainer working Am. Saddlebred and Morgan horses.
While doing the Dental bit I learned to carve and cast which also fed my artistic interests.
I am semi-retired, but still circulate in the world of horses for about 5 mos a year. I make a little jewelry and do a little restoration work and repairs.
Engraving is something I have always admired and wanted to do, so here I are pecking at metal in a different way. It is thoroughly addictive and relaxing, as I have no agenda but to do as good as I am able.
Probably more than you wanted to know, but thanks for asking.
gailm:)

jdveritas
11-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Makes sense; great art, cowgirl humor and all. I'm sure you've considered saddle work, I know there's good money on the leather working end, have you talked with any makers about engraving furniture (buckles, caps etc.)?