PDA

View Full Version : another waterfall

Jim Kelso
12-29-2007, 07:50 AM
Hello all. Here http://www.jimkelso.com/Galleries/RecoveryOfSilence.gallery/index.html
is a link to a recently completed waterfall kenbyo(Japanese style viewing screen). The frame is Vera wood. The carved/engraved plate is shibuichi(in this case 70%copper/30%silver alloyed by Phil Baldwin). I used a combination of shallow relief carving and what the Japanese call katakiri bori engraving which is line engraving with the lines varying in depth, width and angle to simulate brush-stroke painting.

The pine branch is inlayed of the same shibuichi with gold cones. There is a bit of gold inlay here and there. For the engraving I used the foot-powered Lindsay Classic and also hammer & chisel for the katakiri. Part of the beauty of katakiri bori is seeing the hammer blow effects in the wider cuts.

Dick Bonham
12-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Hi Jim,
Your Waterfall is beautiful! I have been really busy and missed your pendant. It is exquisite. Thank you for showing us these pieces. Have a Great New Year!
Dick

tsterling
12-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Wow, another awesome and extraordinary Kelso piece... They just keep getting better!

What's the size of this one, Jim?

Ray Cover
12-29-2007, 11:27 AM
awesome stuff Jim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:whoo:

Dave London
12-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks Jim
Beautifull work, what are the dimensions of the piece. Thanks Dave:cheers2:

Jim Kelso
12-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks guys!

Tom & Dave, it's five inches tall(including the frame and base).

Dick, Happy New Year to you too!

Jim