PDA

View Full Version : Hello to All!

Baygraver
03-09-2008, 03:53 PM
My name is Jim Slaughter. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and this is my first post on the forum. I've been snooping around for a few weeks. I've ordered a PC setup and Steve tells me it's in the mail, so next week begins the rest of my life. I'm hoping to keep an open mind about where I go with engraving. I've had a couple lessons from a local engraver that have whetted my appetite. He uses the "other" equipment but immediately suggested I go the Lindsay direction. I've been metalsmithing for about 20 years and doing chasing and repousse on my lamps, etc., for three years now. I have a studio in a plating and silversmithing shop, so have the opportunity to study a lot of engraved work that comes through. Recently I've been doing some framed sterling bugs. Here's a sample. I can already see where this could be improved with some decent engraving! Regards, Jim

Brian
03-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi Jim,

What guage did you hammer & punch that piece out of?

I've got one of those jobs coming up, but out of 980 silver to match a Spratling piece that belongs to a collector/dealer.

You are not all that far from me... welcome to stop by if you're ever over this way.

Brian Marshall
instructor@jewelryartschool.com
209-477-0550

Baygraver
03-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Brian, This piece is made with 20 gauge sterling, although recently I've moved to using 22 gauge. I've also moved to using argentium sterling silver (92.5% silver, 6.5% copper, 1% germanium) which is even easier to work and doesn't firescale or ever tarnish. :hurray: It is still 925 although I think a 980is also available.

I'll definitely be making it over to Stockton to meet you. Maybe I'll squeeze some learning into a visit as it looks like you have a lot happening there. Regards, Jim

Dave London
03-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Jim Welcome to the forum. great looking bug. Lately I have got the Repousse bug myself:smilielol5: Check out the frog on the colorengraving thread > Dave

Baygraver
03-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Dave, Thanks! I see the spider and the june bug (?) but not the frog. Where's the frog? Jim

Dave London
03-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi Jim
Next to last post in that thread, click the thumb nail photo

Ray Cover
03-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Welcome aboard Jim :cheers2:

Ray

Baygraver
03-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Dave, I found it. Very nice! A little frog with a little repousse and a nice background. Regards, Jim

Baygraver
03-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Ray. I spent my first 18 years in Crystal City (the twin city to Festus, Mo., to those who don't know). Will get by the next time I'm around for a reunion. Jim

Finn La Rue
03-10-2008, 10:36 PM
welcome Jim Slaughter nice to have you around.
sounds like we have lived in simalar areas of the usa
i was living in Santa Rosa CA for 30 years then in FL few years then in Columbia MO for a year or so now back down to FL .
nice to have you around and nice silver bug you got there!

Baygraver
03-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Sounds like you've been coast-to-coast and a bit in the middle. I've been Missouri, Tennessee, Southern California and now Northern California the past 30 years. Maybe I'm just a step or two behind you.... Jim