PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

IstoneDraftsman
04-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Hello everyone, My name Is Isaac, and I am new, so, no work yet, although I am starting to engrave on acrylic sheets with a dremel tool, not working the greatest, but I am learning quickly.....

Dave London
04-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi Isaac
Welcome
Most of the folks here use gravers/chisels to cut and remove metal.The use of rotary tools is limited to back ground removal. Cutting plastic and glass is the realm of the rotary tools.:cheers2: Dave

IstoneDraftsman
04-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Hmm, That makes alot of sense, thanks for the tips, I was wondering about how large is a graver shank? like thickness and whatnot, i would buy them, unfortunately, I am broke!!! so i figured I can make some out of steel that I have, and temper them to tool steel.

kcrutcher
04-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Welcome Isaac

I am a beginner at engraving even though I have been at It for 35 years.

I have made my own tool my self.

We use 3/32 square material to fit air driven impact tools.

If you know basic working It Is very easy to make your own tools using the same punch making skills some of us learned in high school metal shop.

I would start with .250 round tool steel

At the opening page of this forum (Enter Page) click on Hand Engraving Tips.

There is a wealth of information about tools and sharpening that you can use.

I will give you some sharpening tips later

Kenneth Crutcher

IstoneDraftsman
04-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the advice!!! I'm on a limited budget at the moment, althouh the tips and technique sections gave me some advice on making the actual tips, I have some 3/32 steel in the manufacturing room at school, and I just picked up a diamond lap and polishing compound, HERE GOES!!!

kcrutcher
04-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Isaac

If you are contemplating using a chasing type hammer and making your own gravers.

I don't think 3/32 material is a good choice for a hand graver unless you have some kind of fixture to hold the graver (to hard to hold).

You would be better off using ¼ inch stock about 8 inches long and tapering the tip down to 3/32 and then using the sharpening instructions to get the proper angles.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj312/kcrutche_photos/DieSinkerChiselChaseringHammer1.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj312/kcrutche_photos/DieSinkerChisel2.jpg

If you really want yo do this, nothing is impossible.

Kenneth Crutcher