PDA

View Full Version : Dried Anchovy Pendant

tsterling
05-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Finished a new one - a dried anchovy pendant. Pendant is engraved and carved in copper, .999 fine silver backing, on a copper byzantine chain. Double inlaid eyes in fossil ivory and ebony. Pendant is 2.25inches long (5.7 cm).

Thanks for looking.

Dick Bonham
05-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Hi Tom,
Beautiful piece of carving!
Dick

SVD
05-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Dick's right - that is beautifully done.

A bit weird, but I'm guessing you didn't make it for me. It's kind of growing on me anyway - something about it amuses me.

And it is beautifully done.

Good job! :thumbsup:

WVEngraver
05-12-2008, 09:41 PM
The title sure grabbed my attention!!!

That's a beautiful piece of truly custom work.

Chris

SVD
05-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Was this a requested item, something you made for someone in particular (knowing their tastes), or just something you did for the fun of it?

tsterling
05-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Steve, this is just one I wanted to do. A lot of my work is based on Japanese themes, and I like the simplicity/sparseness and elegance of the Japanese art ethic (at least the antique works). Dried fish are a fairly common theme in Japanese netsuke (which I started out my art career carving), and some are also seen in Japanese sword fittings. So, it just seems natural to extend those themes into my metalwork, to which I've newly added engraving, thanks to Steve's Palm Control:hurray: . I seem to do about half knives, half pendants these days.

SVD
05-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the update!

My ever-indulgent wife is from Taiwan and yep - she still likes dried fish (not as much or as often as she did 20 years ago but still a lot more than most folks in Missouri).

I assume this will be for sale at some point and I'll bet it goes quickly.