PDA

View Full Version : when i get bored

monk
05-18-2008, 10:03 PM
this is what i do. engrave junk jewelry !

airamp
05-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Hi,

That is a great idea for practice.

You could get a pile for that stuff at garage sales cheap and have at it.

Mike

SVD
05-19-2008, 09:49 AM
My neighbor is getting his knee fixed on Thursday. He's a big Iowa Hawkeyes fan so yesterday I carved the logo into a nickel for him as a good luck charm.

Nice to be able to spend a few hours doing 'nothing' and still have something to show for it, isn't it? :)

monk
05-20-2008, 01:05 AM
yes ! sometimes i just start cutting and don't give a care about anything or anybody. and don't particularly give a care what i grab to cut on ! i just cut for fun, and go where my instincts take me. if i skrew up,,, ts !

SVD
05-20-2008, 08:17 AM
If I hadn't sliced the tip of my index finger on a chip that turned out to not be ready to fall off I would have done a little more work on this to make the circle a bit cleaner.

He seemed quite happy with it, so I figure it was a good use of my time.
Click on the thrumbnail for the larger version.
http://www.svandyke.com/GRS/work/t/svdhn011a.jpg (http://www.svandyke.com/GRS/work/svdhn011a.jpg)

monk
05-20-2008, 04:32 PM
when you give stuff like this, people appreciate it more than anything bought in a store ! they know for sure there is only 1 copy on the planet !

SVD
05-20-2008, 06:48 PM
I know he's been worrying about the surgery so I figured this would help.

I've already got the Get Well card & gift waiting to run over Thursday evening. The gift is a Polka album - I figure that's the best music for testing a rebuilt knee, which I say in the card. :)

sddd42000
05-26-2008, 10:22 PM
everyone would be glad to have someone like you in their corner.
i am sure that your buddy would like anything you can pass his way.
keep up the good work

SVD
05-27-2008, 09:20 AM
They're really good neighbors. We went by on Thursday evening to drop off the card & gift. His knee was already feeling better. Not good yet, since it was still sore from the surgery earlier in the day, but having had two tears in the miniscus repaired he could tell it was going to be much better.

Turned out he likes polka music - good memories from his youth in Iowa. Polka is a happy genre, it's true. Never heard an angry or sad polka.

mckeenh
06-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Any time spent cutting is time learning. Sometimes I just put a practice plate in if I am between projects and experiment. I seem to have withdrawals if I don't cut.

Neil:yesnod: