Steve Lindsay
05-24-2008, 11:29 AM
1) Mike Dubber's table set up
http://www.engravingschool.com/forum-pics/NRA%20001.jpg

2) Mike engraving with the PalmControl at the table
http://www.engravingschool.com/forum-pics/NRA%20002.jpg

3) Roger Bliele trying out the PalmControl AirGraver
http://www.engravingschool.com/forum-pics/NRA%20003.jpg

4) Tom Selleck visiting the booth and discussing Doc Covault's "Guns Of Tom Selleck" display
http://www.engravingschool.com/forum-pics/NRA%20006.jpg

Roger Bleile
05-24-2008, 02:25 PM
I had a great time at the NRA convention. Thanks to Mike, I had the opportunity to sample the PC. I was very pleased with its performance. After the show Mike Dubber, Rex Pederson and I went to dinner and discussed FEGA and old times. It was great to spend time with these masters of the craft again after several years. Here's a photo of three charter members of FEGA taken after dinner...well fed!

Roger Bleile

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/buckrio/Engravers3Enh.jpg
BTW, that's not a second head growing out of my right sholder:)

Eric Watson
05-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Excellent presentation. Looks like a show well worth attending if one could. I believe hour's could be spent going over Mike's table of goodies alone. Trying to get all your questions answered, maybe days or years more likely.:drool5:

MikeDubber
05-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Yes, it was a very good show, and it was a delight to be able to spend a few hours with Roger and Rex replaying some of the early FEGA years. It is most gratifying to know that what we initiated back in 1981 continues to grow and foster the engraving arts.

Mike Dubber

SVD
05-26-2008, 12:02 PM
So Mike

How did you like the PalmControl?

And thanks to you guys for starting FEGA. Without it it's highly unlikely we'd have these fine forums we have today. Or that many of us would have found hand engraving still around for us to get interested in.

MikeDubber
05-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Well, since you asked, I enjoy my PalmControl every day!

I have a student in my studio this week and he is enjoying it was well - says he never thought fine line detail could be so easy. I told him it was my opinion that when you reduce the number of physical complications (one of those being foot/hand coordination) the process of engraving becomes more natural.

Think about it - after drawing/developing a complicated design on the surface of a piece of metal, we are now challenged to cut that constantly changing line with a graver using our hands, our eyes, and generous portion of our entire phisical/conscious makeup to keep that graver running true. If we add the additional complication of having to coordinate the entire process by manipulating foot pedal accelerator/decelerator, it only adds to the difficulties.

So now I can simply "push" the graver lightly in the direction I want it to go, apply more hand pressure if I want it to cut heavier or deeper, and let up gradually as I reach the end of that line - that's natural - welcome to PalmControl!

Mike Dubber

Roger Bleile
05-26-2008, 07:19 PM
So Mike

How did you like the PalmControl?

And thanks to you guys for starting FEGA. Without it it's highly unlikely we'd have these fine forums we have today. Or that many of us would have found hand engraving still around for us to get interested in.

Thanks for your appreciation of our efforts Steve. I'm always pleased to find that what we started so many years ago is doing well and appreciated.

I enjoyed my try at the PC. I am still pondering if I should go PC or foot control. Mike's comments above help in that respect. I am used to using a foot control from 30 years with a Gravermeister but I'm also accustomed to using a push graver. If I get to try a Lindsay with a foot control at the Engrave-In it will help me decide. I think if I was new to engraving the PC would be the way to go for all the reasons Mike stated.

Roger

MikeDubber
05-26-2008, 08:28 PM
OK guys....having said that......please don't ask me to give up my Lindsay Classic either. So maybe I am a "tool freak," but today I've been photographing a tutorial sequence I'll post later showing the various steps and processes of inlaying a Browning Citori with a gold A&Eagle logo for Budweiser. So far, the Cassic appears in every shot! It just suits me better to use that workhorse for most of my heavy inlay work. Later on, the PalmControl will appear when I start cutting fine details into the inlay.

And about FEGA; it's an organization that has based it success on dedicated volunteer leadership. Currently, FEGA President Rex Pedersen is providing the some of the most dedicated and responsible leadership I can remember since we started!

Sam
05-26-2008, 08:43 PM
You guys look like you had a good time at the show, i know i sure did. I came back broke as usual. Mike i'll be getting ahold of you after the snow starts falling to talk about classes.

MikeDubber
05-27-2008, 05:35 AM
Sam:

I came back broke as well....every time I made a quick run around the show it cost me. Luckily the CCA booth and the PalmControl demos kept me very busy!

Mike

SVD
05-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys!

BTW, for those of you reading along who haven't joined FEGA yet, the handbook you get when you join is worth the price by itself. It's an agglomeration of tips and article by members - sort of like a hardcopy of these forums.

Danny C
05-27-2008, 03:43 PM
FEGA Founders!

That's really something to be proud of. You guys did a great job of it. We all know it was a lot of work to get going and keep going. Are you involved in the organization still? How about the rest?

SVD
05-27-2008, 05:53 PM
FEGA Founders!

That's really something to be proud of. You guys did a great job of it. We all know it was a lot of work to get going and keep going. Are you involved in the organization still? How about the rest?

Seems like they should be off in the distance, shrouded in mist, doesn't it?
:001_tt2:

It's that semi-mythical feeling to someone who was around "when it all started."

The quality of their engraving comes into it too. :painting:

Tim C
05-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Mike,
Thanks for the great post(s), the work you do is an inspiration to many, including myself.
As a fellow "Tool Freak", engraving with these tools is actually fun.
I have the Classic in the large bore and the Classic (formerly Chasing)in the small bore that has the PC handle on it.
I wouldn't give up these tool for any other tools made, they just seem to become part of your hand when you use them.
I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Your post reminded me I need to renew my FEGA membership.
One day I hope to become good enough to be FEGA "certified".

Tim C

monk
05-30-2008, 03:18 PM
i never met mr dubber, but did see one of his guns some time ago. you can look at his work for so long, your eyes have to take a break. photos just don't convey this mans' superb touch ! take a look at the nifty barell holder on his bench. that's a prize winner too !

SVD
05-30-2008, 05:26 PM
monk

Thanks for mentioning that barrel holder! I hadn't even noticed it amongst all the other eye candy. That is neat!

Roger Bleile
06-03-2008, 07:55 PM
FEGA Founders!

Danny,

I just got back from the Engrave-In so I'm rather late in answering your question. I have been a continuous FEGA member since day one, however I have not held a leadership position for quite a few years.

Roger

mckeenh
06-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Great ideas Mike, it is also great to see a picture with a name, I might recognize you at Reno next year, Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Neil:yesnod: