PDA

View Full Version : PC as chasing tool (more, again)

Baygraver
06-12-2008, 08:00 AM
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll200/baygraver/RobertHookesFamousFlea1.jpgHere is another example of using the PalmControl as a chasing tool. For those of you who recognize him, this is my redition of Robert Hooke's Famous Flea. It's argentium sterling silver 22G measuring 6"x8". It's chased and repoussed in the traditional fashion. The background is done with a florentine liner run vertically and then horizontally. Jim

SVD
06-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Your work is just wonderful, and quite different from what we usually see. Even though I think you've done so before, could you post a few pictures of some of your punches you use for this?

Danny C
06-12-2008, 01:37 PM
So, what part of this project used the PC?
Just the background - or did you put a "chisel tip" in it and use it as a "liner"?

mckeenh
06-12-2008, 05:15 PM
I think I asked this before on one of your othe posts but could you explain your pitch bowl composition and are working from the inside out or outside in?

Neil:yesnod:

Baygraver
06-12-2008, 06:21 PM
The PC was used for the entire background. I ran a liner graver perpendicularly and then horizontally. The PC was also used with a planishing punch (piece of 1/4th inch steel with a 1mm slightly domed face) to "sculpt" all the pointy areas, like the claws and whiskers. It allows much more control and precision than using standard chasing tools. Jim

Baygraver
06-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Sorry, had a blip. I'm using German (red) pitch I bought from Otto Frei. Northwest pitch works just as well. Either one cleans up well with acetone. One could also use asphaltum (traditional) pitch but it's very messy and cleans up best with gasoline. Jim

Baygraver
06-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Regarding working inside/outside. I think broad areas work best from the inside out, but there aren't many of those. Mostly I start on the back side with the repousse probably 75% of the time early on and then more chasing toward the end. Check out www.valentinyotkov.com for more details. Jim

Baygraver
06-12-2008, 08:12 PM
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll200/baygraver/Graverchasingtools.jpg

Here is a shot of the "punches" used, mostly as planishers and sculpters. They're 1/4th inch steel rounded to varying faces at the end with slight doming and varying from max about a millimeter and a half to almost needle point. Jim

mckeenh
06-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the informationg and webb site, I will check it out. Your work is very nice, keep posting.

Neil:yesnod:

SVD
06-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Thanks for reposting the pictures of your punches Jim!

Every time this comes up the picture gets a little clearer in my mind.