PDA

View Full Version : The White and Black Knights

MikeDubber
06-28-2008, 12:32 PM
It's been a few years since I produced a pair of vintage .45 19ll Colts for a client who was interested in the legends surrounding King Arthur and his knights. Rather than concentrate on King Arthur or any particular Knight, we decided to generalize the legends of Good and Evil by naming the project the White and Black Knights. The White Knight's theme is more whimsical while the Black Knight exhibits powerful elements of darkness.

After exploring the generalized format, I was given complete freedom to carry out the work as I saw fit. Understanding the role of colors in the project, I decided to blue (dark black/oxide blueing) the Black Knight and French Gray the White knight. I then choose ebony and ivory to compliment the grip themes.

The various themes, armour, crests and other inlaid icons were researched to fit the respective characters of each gun. Many of the inlays were multi-color metal (gold/silver/platinum). I did the ebony grips, including the sterling inlays, and asked scrim artists Sandra Brady to do the ivories. After providing her with basic sketches, she created the grips, art and scrimshaw.

Inlays were done in 24K gold, 18K pink and green gold, platinum and silver to keep the coloration consistent with the overal theme.

I especially enjoy creating "themed" engraving projects like this. Likewise, if you decide to create an engraving theme, please understand that you will probably spend at least a fourth of the project time researching and artistically developing that theme. So, I've already been asked privately several times: this was a $80,000 project, including the guns, grips, art, consultation and finishing - six months +- and lots of research, coordination and bench time.

Mike Dubber
http://fototime.com/A997D9AB3F993E1/standard.jpg[img]http://fototime.com/3BB1B4B7BC0C5C8/standard.jpg
http://fototime.com/0059A94BB3D043E/standard.jpg
http://fototime.com/4D7D54DEC0CD76B/standard.jpg
http://fototime.com/DB9D50D196A2B62/standard.jpg

Roger Bleile
06-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Mike,

Beautiful work as usual!!! I'd love to see more pictures of these pistols.

Roger

MikeDubber
06-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Roger:

I've now posted all the photos I have Roger. Too bad I can't locate a shot of th tops of the slides. You can just see tops in the one photo - the Black Knight has an inlaid Black Dragon and the White Knight has the King's Lion Crest, both inlaid just behind the ejection port.

Mike

ronlevine
06-28-2008, 04:33 PM
"I'll be in my bunk"

I really like the .45 colt design. You just made it sexier...

mckeenh
06-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Very nice work Mike, I am anxious to see more pictures. My hat is off to you and please post more of your work, you are an inspiration to use beginners.

Neil:yesnod:

SVD
06-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Absolutely stunning Mike!

Good point about how much 'larger' the design portion of a project like this than on a 'normal' job.

How would you say the balance is on a more routine project (routine for you that is)?

MikeDubber
06-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Yes, I would say that as you develop your skills and your client base, that you naturally trend toward more compicated engraving art. As I described, these projects require a significant amount of time for planning as well as execution.

Clients like to be involved, but they need to understand that consultation, creation of the art, and all the time they use up visioning the project is part of the cost. Most people who are buying engraving art at this level understand that. More significantly, as the engraver, you need to thoroughly understand the process of estimating what kind of time will be envolved with the client.

dclevinger
06-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Guys....I had the pleasure of seeing these pistols in person a while back. The pics just don't do them justice. They really are magnificent guns. Thanks for showing them Mike.

David

mckeenh
06-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Good photographs Mike, and thanks for sharing a little of the business strategy. In a new business like this as we grow there are several hurdles to overcome and any advice from experience engravers like yourself is a blessing in disguise.

Thanks again for sharing your work with us.

Neil:yesnod:

Roger Bleile
06-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Mike,

Thanks for adding the additional pictures. You accomplished an excellent concept, design and execution as usual.

ROger

jdveritas
06-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Hey mike, its allways a treat to see your work. I noticed you said you used several varient alloyed golds, rose, pink etc. I think we all are familiar with your extensive history as a jeweler. I'm wondering how much contrast your able to achieve using rose on yellow inlaying techniques, and how much your involvement with the industry has influenced your ability to make the proper selections regarding alloy. Do you have any suggestions, for those of us less educated in the variety of metals and resources. Maybe what to look for and who's worth buying from. Thanks, your friend Jim Burns

MikeDubber
06-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Colored golds: The colors of refined/colored gold are subtle, but you can see those colors well enough to appreciate the differences when they are placed side-by-side.

First, most of my inlays are made of 24K gold, although sometimes I use 22K if the inlay is on a high-wear area of a gun. Some engravers say that they have better luck engraving detail on 22 K because it's a bit harder and holds fine line and graver cuts better....and I agree.

When I want to create special inlay effects I use colored golds and other precious metals (like silver or platinum).

Please realize that 24K gold is pure gold without any other metal alloy mixed in - or as we say in the industry, it is "Fine" gold. If you buy 18K gold, you will be working with a mixture of 18 parts fine gold and 6 parts alloy. Alloys can be silver, copper, brass or any of a variety of other metals that harden or color the gold. So, if you have a ring or other peice of jelwelry that is stamped "10K" it is made of 10 parts fine gold (24K) and 12 parts base metal alloy. Inlaying 10K gold would be about the same as inlaying soft iron.

You cannot buy 24K green (or any other colored gold) because the refiner has to mix in alloys to bring color to the final product. Most colored golds are 18K. As such, they are harder than 24K gold, so you'll need to appreciate the differences in the difficullties you'll have inlaying them.

The best source of colored gold is Hoover & Strong Refiners - Richmond, VA.

PatP
06-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Mike, very impressive!!! Hats off...

airamp
06-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi Mike,

Fantastic work. This might help some to be able to decide what to use also.

(AirAmp)

jdveritas
07-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Very cool, thanks Mike Ya know I've heard so many bad stories of people buying fake platinum, that I shudder everytime I think of purchasing prescious metals... there is surely an infinate combination of alloys used and I guess it may not really be all that important, so long as the finished product is what you want, but you know.. You want to feel good about what your spending your money on, and you sure want to be able to work it once you get it. Thanks again Mike for the advice and the reference, I'll check out Hoover and Strong.