PDA

View Full Version : First real AirGraver project

SVD
07-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Ok, got my AirGraver a few weeks ago and did wind up winning it (Thanks Steve!)

Been practicing and fiddling with it a bit and this is the first real project I did with it.

I started with my Box O' Happiness - the fully portable system and finished up on my bench with my microscope. That and the saw were the only things not in the Box that I used for this.

It's a 'scrap' pendant - where I take a scrap left over from something else and use it to make something new. This one's a double scrap - the hole in it is from the first one of these that I did.

Click on the pictures for a larger version:
http://www.svandyke.com/GRS/work/t/w080626012.jpg (http://www.svandyke.com/GRS/work/w080626012.jpg)

http://www.svandyke.com/GRS/work/t/w080701003.jpg (http://www.svandyke.com/GRS/work/w080701003.jpg)

http://www.svandyke.com/GRS/work/t/w080701004.jpg (http://www.svandyke.com/GRS/work/w080701004.jpg)

Things went great! The AirGraver is doing everything I ask it to, even if sometimes I don't ask right. So far the only 'problem' I've had is I've found that I sometimes get my fat finger right over the holes when I roll the graver to the right. That puts it in 'short stroke' mode which is not (usually) what I want. Need to practice not doing that.

Steve Lindsay
07-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi Steve, Great job on the pendant. Very cool! :cheers2: Glad you're liking the tool! :)

Holding your finger over the exhaust won't make the tool go into a short stroke. It will muffle it a bit if you are running at a long stroke but the stroke distance the piston travels isn't controlled by the exhaust itself. There is a ridge step where the adjust ring is and so the exhaust holes can't get totally blocked off. I'd say don't worry where your fingers are riding unless you have the tool set at the longest stroke running at 70 or 80 psi and you're digging a deep hole. Blocking the exhaust then may muffle the power some but otherwise in general hold the tool in a way that is most comfortable for you. Laying your fingers over that area will have pretty much nil effect unless your maxed out with the stroke adjustment and psi.

Steve
PS... If engraving deep a tungsten piston at 70 or 80 psi will be very helpful.

SVD
07-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Steve

It just happens that I was powering through heavy work on those cuts where I was blocking the holes.

But that was just for a new thing I was trying out so unless I decide to do a lot of it I should be ok for now. The Classic works wonderfully for my normal style! And even this heavy style is no problem in soft stuff like copper. It's just when you're pulling .5mm thick chips out of steel that I've slowed it down. :thumbsup:

I believe the ever-indulgent wife has now claimed everything I've done with it that isn't a 'pure' practice plate where I'm just trying some cuts. Well, except for one thing that was a gift for someone else that was gone before she had a chance at it.

PatP
07-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Thats a nice job, congrats once again on the winnings....I too know of the significant other snatching up work...

Daniel Houwer
07-03-2008, 02:41 AM
Nice one Steve,

Ah, scrap is the key! I am running out on my copper sheet! Have to make some scrap from it first!
Where can I get a full set of American coins? I see all these coins everywhere and still have but a clue as how big they are. Hmm must be a coinstore in town.

SVD
07-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Daniel

For coins for practice and/or to use for scale in photographs I'd go to the bank. They'll 'sell' you them for the current exchange rate.

If you start having fun with Hobo Nickels then you'll want to get some 'good' coins but I'd look for an equivalent Dutch coin to use.

The key to making things from scrap is having some around. I keep anything fingernail sized or bigger. There are a lot of things to engrave that are that small or smaller so why not keep some 'practice plates' around?

PS_Bond
07-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Ah, scrap is the key! I am running out on my copper sheet! Have to make some scrap from it first!

All my copper sheet is scrap... :) Colleagues keep giving me plumbing offcuts, some of which I split & put through the rolling mill. Some gets melted. An awful lot is in a big pile...!

Where can I get a full set of American coins?

I'll have a rummage & see what I've still got around - I've almost certainly still got some pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters; I'll see if I can put together a subset for you if you'd like. Posting them within the EU shouldn't be too bad. Sorry, no silver dollars. :D

Daniel Houwer
07-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Oops,

Hi Steve and Peter,
You American guys tend to measure everything by inches or USA coins.
Here whe use milimeters so its fairly hard for me to guess how big the engraved things are. So I got myself an Inch / centimeter ruler but should also get myself a set of American coins to see how big/small your beautys are! :lol:
As my figurative engraving skills are progressing I find myself looking for other things than just scrap metal to engrave.
Just last week I chose my litle engraving ball to be victom :tongue: :deadhorse:
I hacked and slashed two 2mm wide cirkles one about 3cm and the other about 6cm in diameter(dont have my ruler with me for inches) and inlayd them with silver. Now I have to make a design to fit between the 2 cirkels. Boy, does stainless su.. when used to silver or copper!
I will be sure to post a picture soon.

So Mr Bond, don't get into to much effort in posting coins but thank you very much for the noble idea :yesnod:

PS_Bond
07-04-2008, 02:55 AM
So Mr Bond, don't get into to much effort in posting coins but thank you very much for the noble idea :yesnod:

Well, it'll probably take me a couple of weeks to work out where they are at the rate things are going!

In the meantime, here's a couple of useful rule-of-thumb approximations (to the nearest mm) - frequently more useful than the exact measurements for visualising things.

(except for 1/16" - 1.59mm and 3/32" - 2.38mm to 2 dec places)

1/8" - 3mm
1/4" - 6mm
3/8" - 10mm
1/2" - 13mm
3/4" - 19mm

(and, of course, 1" = 25.4mm, but that's not an approximation either)
2" 50mm
3" 75mm

I still tend to buy lumber by Imperial cross-section and metric length. :smilielol5:

Tim C
07-04-2008, 06:09 AM
Steve,

I went to Home Depo and purchased some of the electrical metal (aluminum) light switch covers for the house, also some plug covers.

The wife loved them and I got some practice using them. It's a win/win whenever the wife is happy.

It is a good way to get practice and there are several different designs to use.

Try it out, if you ever decide to sell the house, the hand engraved switch covers may help, it will give your agent something to talk about with clients.

Tim C

SVD
07-04-2008, 11:46 AM
I might have to look into doing new switch plates - could be a fun project.

Steve Ellsworth
07-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Great Job on the pendant.
Nice to hear you are enjoying your new Classic.

Cheap practice plates.

Take any coin and hold it with your finger on your diamond lap.

Home Depot - metal shim stock. Comes in 20lb boxes cut @ 2x3 look for it in the lumber area.

SVD
07-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Steve (seems to be a popular name around here)

I've been using coins but I've been doing it the hard way - doing my best to leave the rim and the wording.

Hadn't thought about cutting down shim stock - been using strips from the Hobby store which are undoubtably more expensive.