PDA

View Full Version : New to this site but not to engraving

mtgraver
08-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Hi to everyone,
I'm Mark Thomas of Dayton, Va. I started my interest in engraving through the building of flintlock rifles. Through my search to understand the art of Kentucky rifles, I've branched into many other facets of art involving hand engraving. I work mostly with an 18th century style of influence to whatever I make from powder horns to edged weapons or my own style of silver jewelry to re-creations of gorgets or peace medals.
I watched Mike Dubber work with his PC and the darn tool had captured my interest. It was amazing through to few seconds of embarassment attempting to cut with this hand tool how intuitive it feels in the hand. It turns out that's how I came to peruse this site, to share and learn from my peers, friends and other in our world of art.
I'm a charter member of the Contemporary Longrifle Association and member of the NMLRA. Anyone interested in contemporary decorative arts and arms, I welcome you to the CLA annual show in Lexington Ky. Aug. 15/16 for the "show of shows". If ya'll happen by please look me up, I'll be running around there somewhere.
I'd like to welcome anyone to review my website, a visual discription of what types of objects I make and embellish. The bio section may answer any other questions as to the "who" I am.
Fare thee well,
Mark Thomas
www.MarkThomas-graver.com

Steve Lindsay
08-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Welcome Mark:seeya:

I plan to attend the CLA show next weekend. (http://www.longrifle.ws/events/) I am looking forward to meeting you. :cheers2:

Steve

mtgraver
08-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks Steve,
I'm looking forward to having you attend our show. Will you be set up? I'm asumming you'll be demonstrating your tools? I'd hope so anyway. Welcome, we'll cross paths sometime during the show I'm sure. I'm not that hard to find.
Mark

MikeDubber
08-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks for providing the link to your web site Mark, I enjoyed seeing your work. In my early years I did a lot of engraving work on Kentucky rifles made by Cornell Kemper for Ferdinand, Indiana. That style of engraving was much different from what I do today, but I really appreciate the roots of American engraving in what we see in period guns, horns and silver.

Excellent work!

Mike Dubber

Roger Bleile
08-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Mark,

I'm looking forward to meeting with you again at CLA. After trying out Mike Dubber's PC at the NRA convention I bought one. Steve Should give Mike a commission on mine:)

Roger

Steve Lindsay
08-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Mark, Yes, I plan to be set up with the tools. See you there.

Roger, it will be great to finally meet you. I very much appreciate Mike and his instructing. Mike are you coming to the show?

Steve