PDA

View Full Version : Some More of that Shiny Stuff

Phil Coggan
10-06-2008, 04:26 AM
I've just found some pics of a couple of Purdeys I did a few years ago. I might have posted simular pictures of these guns before but these show the actions on the wood and also blackened barrels.

Phil

http://engravingschool.com/forum-pics/PN21f.jpg
http://engravingschool.com/forum-pics/PN3f.jpg
http://engravingschool.com/forum-pics/PN2f.jpg

Vanknife
10-06-2008, 05:39 AM
Almost unbelievable art work Phill what can I say more.
Cheers

"VAN"

Steve Lindsay
10-06-2008, 10:07 AM
:iagree: Just Awesome

Vanknife
10-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Good day Phill,
I had a good look at this pictures again and am i right in saying there is gold in the screw slots? And if so are they flush or only down in the valley? Next question if I may if it is only in the valley of the screw slot how do you keep it in there???

Sorry for all the questions

Cheers

"VAN"

Phil Coggan
10-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Van, the gold is in a slot cut into the tumbler pivot, it is only there to indicate whether the gun is cocked or not.

Phil

Miss Ruth
10-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Hi Phil,

Could you let us know what all the inlay materials are?
What carat gold and how do you inlay different colours right next to each other?

Thanks

Ruth

Dave London
10-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Phil
Simply amazing art, craftmans ship :whoo: Thanks for posting the pics. An inspiration to keep on scratching.

rod
10-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Phil,

So generous of you to share these masterpieces widely. The quality of the photos is coming through with great resolution, something that is absolutely necessary in order to get closer to admiring your work. There is a lot going on, yet the mix of colour and the balance of negative/positive makes me feel like I am holding the piece in my hands!

This business of having illustations that begin to allow the detail of work to come through to the viewer is very important. Your illustrations are far better than, for example the Dublin Museum, where the world famous celtic Tara brooch is displayed. I struggled once more last May to see the detail, but it is just not possible, and there is no high res photos available from the curator. I hope that changes. Hey, there's a question, what was the working technique? We do have a bit of info about the casting and practice engravings in bone, but not much. I would like to be looking over the shoulder of the 9th century artist who created that brooch. Not too many magnifiers available in those days. I'll bet you and he would have a lot to chat about over a glass of potcheen?

best

Rod

WVEngraver
10-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Beautiful!! Thank-you for taking the time to post on both forums. I think one of these is in a book I have. I know I've seen it. Kinda difficult to forget such incredible work.

Chris

Phil Coggan
10-07-2008, 03:12 AM
Hi Phil,

Could you let us know what all the inlay materials are?
What carat gold and how do you inlay different colours right next to each other?

Thanks

Ruth
Hi Ruth,
The metals are 18 & 24kt yellow, 18kt green, 18 & 22kt red and s/silver.
Providing you done the undercut and the base is keyed correctly, just lay the different colours next to each other, it's as simple as that. Oh, except for red which has a different technique.

Phil

Vanknife
10-07-2008, 03:28 AM
Thanks for the explination Phill that make totaly sense to me now

Cheers

"VAN"

jlseymour
10-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Beautiful!!!!! Phil thanks for showing your work it's such a pleasure to see...
Jerry

WVEngraver
10-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Right on Van!!

It does make sense now. The different alloy compositions are a great clue when you look at the finished gun and see what is in or next to each other.

Chris