PDA

View Full Version : The Truth About Trilobites

tsterling
10-16-2008, 11:31 AM
The Truth About Trilobites! Scientists have argued for many years about the cause of the Permian epoch extinction of one of the most prolific types of life on Earth. One of the great mysteries of science has finally been solved with the discovery of this exceedingly rare fossil trilobite. It seems that the trilobites did not go extinct after all, but simply ran down.

Like all great scientific discoveries, the knowledge ends up revealing more questions – for instance, who wound them up in the first place?

Three layers of engraved and carved 1/16 inch thick mild steel (soldered), copper gears, Argentium silver chain. Gun blue patination. Pendant is 1 3/4 inches long, 1 1/8 inch wide.

The idea for this piece came from a tutorial on etching brass I found on the web. I've been enjoying prowling a genre of mad scientist art/craft that has emerged called "steampunk," loosely based on Victorian-style scientific instruments and metal architectural construction

Mcahron
10-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Interesting work and design.I like it.

Simon
10-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi Tom,

I love the Trilobite, I have always wondered what happened to them & why they all dissapeared, now we all know.

I have just been looking at your website & you have some wonderful work on there. I noticed that there was no contact email address, do you have an email address?

Simon.

Ddbltrbl
10-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Tom,
Nice! I think Agatha Heterodyne would wear it proudly!
:yesnod:

tsterling
10-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Simon, I removed my contact email from my website because it's being used as the return address for a huge amount of spam, apparently from Russia. I get huge numbers of bouncebacks every day, and it is extremely annoying. I've tried to get that email account at my ISP deleted, but they apparently can't or won't do that. I don't take commissions anyway, so the email is pretty useless anyway.

So now I don't post my email address anywhere that Web spiders can see it.

I've sent you a private message via this site with my home email address. You'll see it at the upper right corner of your screen where it says Welcome, Simon, click Private Messages.

SpiderCurt
10-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Hi Tom

E-mail addresses have long been prime targets for info gathering bots. I have found that the best way to post contact information on a web site is to display it in a graphic rather than as plain text. While there are robots that can read Captchas, this technology doesn't appear to have been added to regular web crawlers as yet.

I agree with the others, nice work. Also, your Celtic knot tutorial on your site was very interesting and informative.