PDA

View Full Version : Non-powered work...

nerosrevenge
10-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Hi all.

I have no work to post as of yet (soon I hope) but I would like to invite any and all to post any pics of work you have done without a powered graver.

I think it would be helpful and inspiring for those of us (like myself) who are just getting started and have limited access to tools, to see what is possible with just a standard graver blade and handle.

Thanks!

Steve1 (lol)

SVD
10-24-2008, 04:51 AM
Steve

Not to be discouraging but those lovely guns Phil Coggan posts? He just got a powered graver a few months ago so all but one or two of them were done with no power.

Power doesn't make us better, it just makes us faster.

Actually, my personal opinion is that it does make us better, but only at the start. It's only slightly easier to learn to cut a line with power than without, but when you try to use that line it is, at first, a lot easier with power because there's less that you have to keep in mind than with hand push or hammer & chisel. An advantage that should fade in a few months though.

I think the thing that's really helping current beginners get going so much faster than folks used to are the precision sharpening systems.

Roger Bleile
10-24-2008, 09:43 PM
I engraved this buckle about 25 years ago. It was the first complete thing I engraved entirely with a push graver. I used H&C for most things prior to getting enough skill to do this with a push graver.

http://www.igraver.com/forum/gallery/photoplog/images/512/1_CRB.jpg

CRB

JJ Roberts
10-25-2008, 05:24 AM
Steve1...Here a couple of practice plates that I show at gun shows that are done by with a single point onglette..push tool. I do all my game scenes and scenery with a hand graver. I encourage my students to try the traditional hammer and chisel and bruin. The ongletette is a little tricky to sharpen, but it works for me.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA
www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

Roger Bleile
10-25-2008, 08:30 PM
JJ,

That patch box lid is beautifully done in the correct period style. It is hard for today's engravers to design and cut figures in the styalized manner of the 18th and 19th centuries.

CRB

nerosrevenge
10-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Steve

Not to be discouraging but those lovely guns Phil Coggan posts? He just got a powered graver a few months ago so all but one or two of them were done with no power.

Power doesn't make us better, it just makes us faster.

Actually, my personal opinion is that it does make us better, but only at the start. It's only slightly easier to learn to cut a line with power than without, but when you try to use that line it is, at first, a lot easier with power because there's less that you have to keep in mind than with hand push or hammer & chisel. An advantage that should fade in a few months though.

I think the thing that's really helping current beginners get going so much faster than folks used to are the precision sharpening systems.

On the contrary Steve, I find that inspiring!

I have found that there is nothing more detrimental to learning something new than lack of results. Knowing that such stunning work is possible with a push tool makes me want to try it even more!

Thank you as well to all of you who have posted images of your work so far, keep 'em coming!

STV.