PDA

View Full Version : Sketches...

nerosrevenge
10-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Hi all.

I haven't starting cutting yet but I did get myself a new sketch book and I have started working on scrolls.

I figured I'd post a page and see what the feedback is:

http://www.sjr-photo.com/Posts/sketchbookg.jpg

The top one is a repro of another scroll posted in a different thread, but the others are doodles that I did at the office today (it's slow at work right now!).

Comments appreciated!

STV.

SVD
10-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Unfortunately the picture just popped up a logon box for the service you're using. :(

nerosrevenge
10-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Not sure how that happened.

I have fixed the link, should be ok now.

Thanks,

STV.

SVD
10-28-2008, 07:06 AM
That fixed it!

Looking pretty good. I need to sneak a few sketches through myself but unfortunately my work's pretty busy right now.

SpiderCurt
10-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Hi Nerosrevenge/STV

I have, as yet, not reproduced the DeCamillis scroll that well.

I noticed you asking about the Ron Smith books in another thread. If you haven't gotten them yet, do so, as they are highly recommended. Just reading either of these books will help you see any flaws in your designs and make you your toughest critic.

I am glad to see another beginner posting in this forum :)

Daniel Houwer
10-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Wow,
Seeing these "doodles" makes me wonder if you even need Rons book.
It also makes me think that it is not my pencils but my drawing skills that are not good.

Great work!

Daniel

nerosrevenge
10-28-2008, 09:20 PM
I had meant to make this comment earlier but forgot.

Half of those doodles were done in black ball point pen. I am feeling now that it may be my preference for doodling scrolls.

I am not sure if this something that anyone else has found, but I think it may be attributed to the fact that with a pencil you can always go an erase your mistakes, but with a pen, you're committed.

If I were working on a final drawing to be transferred for cutting I think I would most certainly use pencil, but for doodles I am gonna stick with the pen for a bit and see what happens.

The reason that I want Ron's book is to understand the technique of creating scrolls. How they flow, maintaining consistency (which is what I see as my weakest point thus far) what the different styles are, and any tips/tricks that might be useful.

Perhaps it may be a useful discussion for the newbies here like myself, but I don't even know if there any additional tools beyond a pencil/pen and paper that other people use? I thought a set of french curves might be handy? Maybe a separate thread on the topic would be better.

Thanks,

STV.