PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Rings

PatP
10-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Well, finally getting down to the nitty gritty with the inlay on these wedding rings. Made from Damascus Stainless Steel, the inlay is in the veins of the laminations. Pretty tiny, and has been the smallest inlay Ive accomplished thus far. Using 24K gold was nice, that stuff is like butter. Having the sharpening templates saved a LOT of aggrivation keeping those carbide gravers sharp for this.

http://patpruitt.com/Engrave/DamascusWeddingRings.jpg

Daniel Houwer
10-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Wauw Pat!!!
What a beatifull rings :hurray:
And what an astonishing contrast.

Great work!

Daniel

PatP
10-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks, it was a lot of fun, and nice to do small inlay for a change.

Peter
10-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Those are very nice rings. I initially thought the gold was mixed in and forged as part of the damascus.

PatP - does the damascus engrave well?

Thanks,
Peter

nerosrevenge
10-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Where does one even get rings like that??

Those are stunning, nice work!

STV.

PatP
11-04-2008, 01:08 PM
The rings were machined from stainless steel damascus rod, the alloys are 304 and 316 stainless steel. I got the material from a buddy, not too sure where he gets it from.

The stainless is a bit difficult to engrave due to the high strength of the material, you need super sharp gravers...for reference, these lines vary from about 0.005" to 0.020" at the widest points, so the point on the graver was tiny. I highly recomend cutting only with carbide...or steves carbalt blend on stainless. I have tried the M45 steel and it cuts decently and holds an edge pretty good, but tends to be *sticky* in the stainless when cutting.