PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1873

joseph engraver
11-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Buffalo Bill Winchester 1873,
The engraving on this rifle dates back twenty years ago, the photo was taken before digital photography, and the computer was known to me. The engraving was done, with hammer, a square chisel and a push graver. My optics were a pair of 4x magnifying glasses and a 7x loupe for the shading and scenes The drawings were reduced using a grid system and a pencil and chalk to put them on the rifle. I am constantly amazed how far the art of engraving, the tools, information available, and the ways of transferring designs have progressed in my lifetime.
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp222/joseph123joe/002-1.jpg

WVEngraver
11-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi Joseph ... I'm glad you posted this. Fantastic work. The different scroll styles really compliment each other well. It's not often we get a glimpse of an extensively embellished, one-of-a-kind custom '73

I really want to tear into the '73 I got for my Biblical project but I'm not so sure of its' present condition. It's going to be a huge investment for an "iffy" custom market resale.

Chris

joseph engraver
11-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Chris, the old 1866, 73, and 76 Winchesters are the most romantic of all American guns. They are great large flat surfaced canvases to work on. The steel is sweet to cut and their history is large enough that any subject in their era is possible.
In order for your idea to be saleable, you need to research the history of the preachers of that time period. Once you find the right subject then the rest will fit into place.
In order to find an aficionado to buy your work, you need to make sure that the restoration is super good; this means new wood, accurately fitted and oil finished, new parts if needed, and first class refinishing of the metal.
The bore of the gun should be clean without large pits. Having said that, I have found that if the quality of the engraving is good enough then the bore is not a great concern to the collector. It is the history the gun represents and the story you tell with the engraving that will sell your work.

WVEngraver
11-13-2008, 10:18 AM
They certainly are Joseph. Even the price for an old rusty clunker is going out of site. I saw a dug '73 Winchester (or what was left of it) selling for over $600 bucks.

From what I understand, for the custom market, "new" parts are not such a big deal. Even a new barrel.

This is going to be a very long project. Much longer than I anticipated ... and pretty far out on a limb too.

The theme will definitely be interesting and exciting enough ... but then again, I'm learning that what I think is cool isn't always in the gun market.

Thanks again Joseph. I gonna get this completely taken down after I bag a deer with it this hunting season. It shoots true so long as the bore is clean as the light pitting causes it to lead up fast.

Chris