PDA

View Full Version : new

dscott
12-04-2008, 03:21 PM
just saying hi wanting to learn engraving and have been checking this site out and loved it and joined i know i will be asking a lot of questions hope that is ok
David

Daniel Houwer
12-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi David,
Welcome on this great forum.
I think it will be okay. They still answer al my questions too :whoo:

See you around,

Daniel

JohnR
12-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Welcome David, There are alot of us (beginners) here so don't feel alone about asking questions here. I've been here learning and studying for 3 months now and have come along ways since my first cuts. Checkout Ampair Sticky post, he really put in alot of time putting together alot of beginner info.

Good Luck......JohnR

JohnR
12-11-2008, 11:59 AM
OOOps, check out AirAmps Sticky not ampair sticky. Sorry AirAmp if your listening......JohnR

rbaptiste
12-12-2008, 04:17 AM
Welcome on the forum David.

dscott
12-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Thank you all i am getting ready to start my wife got me this set for christmas hope it is ok to start with
Description: six carbon steel gravers. One onglette #2 onglette. One oval #6. One flat #38. One square #6 square. One knife #2. One tapered square #3.

Daniel Houwer
12-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Okay, next to get is Steve's graver template sharpening system with the right sharpening fixture's and stone's.
Or get some other good sharpening stone's and start a long way of learning how to get those gravers right! That should be the right way, but is also the longest way without a tutor next to you!
Starting to engrave without sharp gravers is like starting to drive without wheels or wheels without air. Just won't work.

So get the templates, or good sharpening stone's and see if you can find an engraver around to help you out. For push engraving I think sharpening by hand is a good way to go but also a long way to learn.
Just as I started to get the hang of it, I got the templates with an airgraver.

Hope you've got an engraver in the area!

Good luck,

Daniel