PDA

View Full Version : Tungsten Dead Blow Piston ?

musician
02-17-2009, 01:47 AM
I am new and hope to work on handguns. Should I add the Tungsten Dead Blow Piston my purchaseto work in harder metals ? Thanks new and hoping to order soon

jlseymour
02-17-2009, 04:05 AM
It's a great addition to the Lindsay System...

Tim Wells
02-17-2009, 09:43 AM
How's that old saying go? ..."It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Some guns you encounter may not anneal well and can warp. Should you not want to risk that and need to cut it anyway; providing it's not so hard you can't get away with cutting it, that tungsten piston would be a handy thing to have on the bench.

ron
02-17-2009, 10:19 AM
i have just purchased the piston and i find a great deal of easier cutting and gold inlaying , i engrave mostly colt saa .. you should buy it .. ron p

carl bleile
02-17-2009, 05:23 PM
I agree with jiseymour,Tim,and Ron plus it can make the work go more quickly when doing heavy cuts or removing background. I am testing an Artisan now and found that by useing the tungsten piston it gave the tool a such a wide range that you could do allmost anything with it.
Carl Bleile
southwest,Ohio

Roger Bleile
02-17-2009, 07:50 PM
If you are going to engrave stainless steel Rugers you will need the tungsten for the cylinder. The loading gate is so hard that even after annealing it still needs the tungsten piston. A gun engraver could do most everything using the tungsten except for the finest shading and banknote scenes.

CRB

WVEngraver
02-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Even then Roger, Steve is very accommodating in that he will also make an extra light weight piston. I use it for working in soft gold jewelry.

I have to admit, as I jump on the horn tooting wagon here, that I am very impressed with the wide range that the Airgraver achieves. So much so that it has replaced three different handpieces on my bench from the other competitor. After all, shouldn't ONE hand piece be enough to do the same job anyway?

Chris

vilts
02-18-2009, 02:45 AM
As of tungsten piston, then this is the only one I use, even for the finest shading I do. 20 psi and ports closed lets me to do mighty fine lines (at least for me).

jlseymour
02-18-2009, 04:15 AM
You said it Chris, I also got rid of the compertiors equiptment and got another PC so 2 hand pieces will do even better...
I have to ask Joan if I can use hers with the tungsten piston that I put the diamonds into the brass plugs...
Jerry

Allan
02-18-2009, 05:31 AM
Even then Roger, Steve is very accommodating in that he will also make an extra light weight piston. I use it for working in soft gold jewelry.

Chris

An extra light weight piston for working in soft gold....jeez, why didn't I ever think of that. I'll have to give Steve a call when my tax refund comes in.

Alan

D.DOUGLAS
02-18-2009, 10:13 AM
I am with vilts. Once i put it in it stayed there and i use it for everything. Doug