PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I am new to the forum

tomdayeh
02-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Hello my name is Tom Dayeh, I am new to the forum. I currently use flat gravers for background removal. I follow up with a beading tool. Is there a faster or better way to remove metal for a deep background?

Daniel Houwer
02-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Hi Tom,
Welcome here! Good place to learn a lot.

For a lot of background removal a rotary tool is quite fast. Espacially the airturbines with small carbide burrs. Also croshatching with a 90degree and then getting the flat to flatten it all works well too.
But wait for the experts to give an answer, I am just a hobbyist.

greetings,

Daniel

jlseymour
02-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Welcome Tom, yes the router tool may be faster, but don't shake...
Jerry

rbaptiste
02-24-2009, 02:52 AM
Welcome on the forum.
For the background, it is faster with rotary tool but it is more flat with the flat point.
You are different result.

dbonder
03-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Welcome Tom :welcome[1]:

carl bleile
03-28-2009, 10:05 PM
If you take a little time to learn to use a chisel (or be taught) you can knock the background out fast and flat. I gave a good hard try at useing a rotary but it just slowed me down and all the clean up because burrs are round and I needed corners and edges stright, angled, or flat. I think the worst thing is a slip or miss touch (which will happen) and you will waste hours fixing it. I teach to use a chisel with hammer or power and get it done because a lot of times a short cut will take you twice as long. Just my opinion,
Carl Bleile
southwest, Ohio