PDA

View Full Version : Engraved knife bolster.........

Jim Small
10-16-2006, 07:24 PM
I thought I would post this as an example of a different style of background. I also wanted to mention that the back ground was done with a flat graver not the standard square graver. The late Harvey McBurnett did all of his engraving with a flat and did an outstanding job. The flower in the center is done with the standard square Lindsay point (120). The beading is 24 K gold and the border is the same. The leaves are done with 22 K rose gold. This subject is the bolster off a Kelly Carlson knife and is made from 416 stainless. The size of the bolster is about 1 1/4 x 1 inch.
Jim

http://georgiaknifemakersguild.com/home/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/album18/Gary_1.sized.jpg

Montejano
10-17-2006, 02:11 AM
As always, a very beautiful engraving.

Best regards :hurray:

Antonio

michael_e
10-17-2006, 04:36 PM
That's really cool Jim ! Is each bead domed as well ? Very sharp looking, thanks for showing it.

Michael E.

Jim Small
10-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Michael
Yes, the gold beads are domed. A small indent is done with a carbide cutter and then undercut. I use a small piece of 24 K gold and use a jewelers beading tool to dome the gold and press it into the detent.
Thanks for asking.......
Jim

mckeenh
06-05-2008, 09:39 PM
How did you cut the lines with a flat graver or was it a very narrow one? Those beads are awfully small, how did you undercut them? I like your work very much.

Neil:)