PDA

View Full Version : Hat off

frans
03-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Hey you all, I have to take my hat off :yo[1]: to you guys - I've seen engraving many times in my life, but never anything as spectacular as the works in this forum - Truely top self. I've always wanted to engrave - have done names on a few cutlery sets for weddings - back of watches and rings - all with a "mapoempaan" (stupid - ridiculous) electric engraver, (not bought - was given to me) somehow I managed to produce work acceptable to the clients who contacted me - never ever did or have I dreamed of finding clients. I know how much I need to learn - or thought I did till I joined here. You guys are an inspiration and indeed masters - I'm in awe of the works I see. Frans - Pinetown Kwa Zulu Natal (east coast area) South Africa.

Steve Lindsay
03-14-2009, 12:02 AM
Hi Frans...:welcome[1]:
Thank you for the nice post. If you can, give engraving with a graver a try. Check out the thread:
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=4
It is a lot different and easier to gain detail control with a single point graver point than with a rotary tool or one of the inexpensive electric engravers.

NeelsRoos
03-14-2009, 12:49 AM
Hi Frans
Welcome! It is good to have another South African on the Forums. Being a newbie myself I found that the great artists on this Forum is unselfish and does not hesitate to share their knowledge gained over many years with us.
As Steve suggests you should try using a graver and for the ultimate experience a Lindsay Airgraver. It is an amazing tool.
Regards. Neels

Dave London
03-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Frans :welcome[1]:
Thier are several engravers in SF I hope they will chime in. Dave