PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and Hello to an Old Friend--Joseph

midnightsunfun
03-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Hello--I am new to the Forum today. I am a Wyomingite transplanted to Eagle River, Alaska (a satellite town to Anchorage, about 12 miles NNE).

I just finished making a pair of grips for my Colt Huntsman, which Joseph engraved for me in 1986. The work Joseph did for me is called "Last of the Breed". It is a black-footed ferret, with scroll and floral engraving. Joseph and I met at a gun show in Rock Springs, Wyoming, where I lived at the time, and we became friends. I tried unsuccessfully several times to find out where Joseph was living so I could get in touch, but nobody at the Winchester museum had a phone number or address. The last time I tried, I talked with a really nice lady at the museum, and she told me she thought Joseph had moved to Mexico. Today I googled "Joseph steel engraver Mexico", on the hope I might locate him, and it led me to this site, where I found Joseph's plates pictured, two of which have an honored place on walls in my home.

All this time, the little beauty has been wearing the factory grips. I even left it with a custom stockmaker for a year and a half before giving up, and picking it back up from him. My Mom and Dad had a couple of pieces of nice walnut in their garage when my Dad passed away, so I shipped them to Alaska, and finally got up the nerve to tackle making the grips. They go with Joseph's beautiful work much better than the original factory grips.

They are retained by four neodymium magnets that I inlayed into the inside of the grips. I also glass bedded them in, so the fit is quite snug, and they stay right where they belong.

Anyway, just thought I would share, and I was hoping to get back in touch with Joseph. I always enjoy his art work, and I have shown it off to lots of people through the years. I am also hoping to learn some more about the art through studies on this Forum.

Best Regards,
Jim Earnshaw
(907)694-6373
eaglet@gci.net

Roger Bleile
03-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Jim,

You have come to the right place. I'm sure Joseph will reply to you. Please take some pictures of your Colt so we can see more of Joseph's work.

CRB

Steve Ellsworth
03-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Welcome Jim,

If your friend is out there some one here will know about him.
Perhaps we'll meet some day. I have family near you and if the volcano goes I may be deployed there with the Red Cross. Till then enjoy the forum and have fun learning.

S

jlseymour
03-20-2009, 07:22 AM
Welcome Jim,
Joseph checks in here from time to time and shares allot info with us...
You can PM him with a little searching for him on the forum...
Jerry

Steve Ellsworth
03-20-2009, 08:26 AM
he's under members
has a nice album

joseph engraver
03-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks Jim for sending the photos of the Colt Woodsman.
It has been so long ago that I had forgotten the work.The pix show of the gold and the nice grips you have made.I will post them so that others may see them.Stay in touch,and have a great day even if you are up to your neck in cold wet snow.

Peter
03-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Welcome Jim, and thanks for sharing your story about the Woodsman.

Peter