PDA

View Full Version : Power needed

Owen
05-24-2009, 01:46 PM
I do several hundred silver bracelets every year, I use the classic with foot pedal control. There are times when I need more power than that little sweetie can deliver for hogging out some of the deeper carved parts. Here is the question is the tungsten piston going to be enough or do i need to get the bigger hand piece? When I say I need more power ther are places in some of my bracelets that go 3/4 mm deep or a little more and I find I can do it faster by hand than my hand piece can do it and i'm getting too old for that kind of exertion!! It gives me the shakes!http://shop.walkergoldsmiths.com/item.asp?DCode=walkergoldsmiths&itemid=269&catid=3&CatCode=artwork

airamp
05-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi Owen,

The tungston piston will give you the power you need to hog out silver no problem from what I have tried.

Tested it on brass and it will cut deep using a flat with little or not trouble.

I really think you should get a tungston piston and give it a go. You will be surprised how powerfull the classic becomes..:hurray[1]:

AirAmp

Daniel Houwer
05-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Yep, Tungsten piston and cranc the regulator up until the hand points straight down! That must be about 75psi. It really gets going there :whoo[1]:
I have been carving out settings in cast silver and with those settings I am taking out chunks! You can hear the burrs dropping to the floor.

Great tool,

Daniel

ron
05-24-2009, 06:05 PM
if you want power then the tungsten piston it the thing that you want , i engrave Ccolts and knives all day and i wouldn't even thinj of using the regular piston for that kind of work , i cut deep relief and do gold inlays with the greatest of ease . if you don't have one you should order one now , you don't need another hand piece, just that piston .. ron p

JJ Roberts
05-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Owen..I totally agree with Ron and Daniel..I have a Classic with tungston piston & the power is incredible. I occasionally do a stainless Ruger Vaquero & with the Classic it cuts thru the stainless with no problem at all....so do yourself a favor and get a tungston piston for your Classic...you won't be sorry.

JJ Roberts
www.jjrobertsengraver.com

Owen
05-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Thank you to all! I'll order it soon as my next check arrives!!

M. J. Atkinson
05-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Are checks supposed to arrive? I'll have to look into that.

Owen
05-27-2009, 11:46 AM
YES they are supposed to but seldom do and then never by the time you need them! I discovered some $ in my pay pal account and already ordered the piston!