PDA

View Full Version : doug;heel problems

doug
06-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Hello everybody, trying to learn my way around the forum.I have found a lot of very useful info.on it.Been trying to put heels on my tools but the heel makes the tool run at such an angle that its very hard to push and causes me to slip badly.Got the stab wounds in my right hand to prove it.I would like your opinions about Jerrimia Watts western engraving vidieo. Is it a good teaching aid on the subject.Thanks Doug Lovedahl

Daniel Houwer
06-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi Doug,
I don't know anything about Jerrimia Watts western engraving vidieo so I hope somebody else wil advise you about that.
If your graver can't be handled anymore I think your heel is to steep.
Try to decrese the heel angle to just enough for your graver handle to be free of your practice plate.
Did you ever think of getting Steve's template system? That is very easy to use and gives you the perfect graver configuration.

Good luck,

Daniel

doug
06-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Daniel I think your exactly right about my heel angle because it just make sense.Aparrently the angle is very very slight and I just cant eyeball it like I been doing.Dont think I have any other choice but to go ahead and buy Steves template system.Thanks so much for your help I do appreciate you taking the time to help me.