PDA

View Full Version : More on Moose!

MikeDubber
11-05-2009, 04:07 PM
A few weeks ago I posted a thread showing a moose scene engraved in the steel on a rilfe butt plate. The client was very happy and wanted a second moose engraved on another of his rifles - this time on the floor plate and in gold instead of bulino.

The moose and tree are in 24k yellow and the lily pads are in green gold. The second photo shows the beginning stages of excavation and piercing of the sheet inlay.

Mike Dubber
http://engravingschool.com/forum-pics/tutorials/BE20BBBBC88B468.jpg
http://engravingschool.com/forum-pics/tutorials/DB2462980A2F404.jpg

leroytwohawks
11-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Beautiful work Mike :thumb[1]:

Kevin

Barry Lee Hands
11-05-2009, 10:04 PM
That is a concise and efficient tutorial, nice post.

Peter_M
11-05-2009, 10:49 PM
This stuff still boggles my mind.... not enough you manage to squish a little thin piece of gold into the steal but once you are finished there is a moose jumping out at you.

I sure admire the skill you and others here have,

Peter

nomentalgiant
11-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Great looking floor plate Mike. I like how you've added different elements to each section. Really nice work!
Please remind us what the blue marker around the recessed area is for. I know you've mentioned it before but I can't recall the specifics. Thanks.

SVD
11-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Great looking floor plate Mike. I like how you've added different elements to each section. Really nice work!
Please remind us what the blue marker around the recessed area is for. I know you've mentioned it before but I can't recall the specifics. Thanks.

Ooo! Ooo!

I remember!

Mike said that when he's getting ready to cut an inlay cavity he colors the parts that he won't be cutting down to help make sure he doesn't.

Most of the Moose's perimeter is pretty easy to follow but when you get in amongst the points of the antlers it would be really easy to clean out the space between the wrong two lines.

But with his method, if it's blue, it stays.

MikeDubber
11-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Yes, good observation SVD!

Do you see that little space between the front legs - it's only 1/2mm wide, and so easy to cut out if you loose concentration, the phone rings, or if the lighting/reflections obscure it, or for numerous other silly reasons.

By marking the areas with the blue marker those possibilites are eliminated - at least for me!:yo[1]:

ron
11-07-2009, 10:49 AM
nice work Mike .. thanks for posting .. ron p

EdGrabow
01-31-2019, 08:04 AM
I'm one of the newer Engraver that get so much out of just the progression pictures, thanks so much for taking the time to share as you work. I know you old timers didn't have this opportunity when you were cutting you teeth in the Engraving World which makes the things you teach all the more valuable to me knowing that it has come from old fashioned hard work and discipline . Thanks again to you and all of the other experienced Engravers in our little World. I hope to do you all Proud in time . .:thank you[1]: Respectfully, Ed Grabow, Shirley Long Island N.Y.