PDA

View Full Version : Cheating ?

Peter_M
01-23-2010, 01:31 AM
I got a few hours of practicing in with my Classic and it sure feels like I am cheating. It sure got easy getting some nice looking cuts. I started hand pushing early in the summer and realized it would take a long time to get good add it. I put the push gravers aside for a while and hit the braiding to come up for some extra toy funds and it sure is a joy to use that Air Graver. So far noting worth while to post but I am sure enjoying the new toy :)

Peter

Daniel Houwer
01-23-2010, 05:06 AM
Don't think you could call it cheating. You could call it progress :thumb[1]:
Like as an egyptian stonecutter getting a powerhammer for the work on the pyramids :biggrin[1]:
Hmm, maybe not that extreme, but it sure makes engraving a lot easier.

Peter_M
01-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Daniel,

Progress sounds good and it sure makes engraving easier. Now I only have a long ways to go ;)

Peter

Gemsetterchris
01-24-2010, 07:45 AM
It certainly takes away alot of the learning curve of muscle memory, although some is a bonus.
So much easier to make nice smooth cuts without the stopping and starting of handpushing which also eliminates those slight angle changes and tip breakages.

Having said that, you still need alot of skill to catch the big boys, the plus side is you know the tool is correct (with a template sharpened graver) and nothing but alot of practice and design understanding is needed.

Peter_M
01-25-2010, 01:35 AM
Chris,

Now I can't blame the tools anymore, got the classic and I do use the template system for sharpening. Now I got to scratch away and build up some skill.

Peter

Roger Bleile
02-01-2010, 09:59 AM
When you were trying to learn the push graver did you ever stab yourself in the off hand? You can't call yourself a "hand engraver" until you have engraved your handlol

Peter_M
02-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Roger,

Done enough of that to figure out blood isn't the ideal graver lube ;)

Peter

Gemsetterchris
02-01-2010, 11:46 AM
I`ve had plenty of onglette gravers stuck in my knuckle bone and between the thumb & forefinger... hurts for weeks.
Also had a habit of slicing my thumb open on a regular basis with an onglette
(cutting hand) as i cut nice straight lines. :biggrin[1]: