Peter

Daniel Houwer
03-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Not a golden retriever but a diamond retriever :smilielol5[1]:
Could you train dogs to do this?

Thanks for showing :biggrin[1]:

Peter_M
03-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Glad you liked it Daniel, just stumbled onto this one.

Might be a worth while training , then every Tuesday afternoon you take the dogs for lunch at the diamond bourse ;)

Peter

IUinvictus
03-22-2010, 05:34 PM
That dog is lucky the vet was able to get it out. It may have been a story about a $20,000 diamond retrieved by a $5 pocket knife had it happened in my neighborhood.

AndrosCreations
07-22-2010, 06:21 PM
3 carats is pretty large to lose down an K9 esophagus... Man...

It seems like if anything under 3mm falls off my bench it's swallowed up by some unknown force.

The philosophical "where do the ripples in the water go..." question posed by a jeweler would be: "Where do all the stones that fall off my bench go?"

Gemsetterchris
07-23-2010, 03:09 AM
I clean up my bench & work area properly maybe every 3 months, generally finding the small stones that "vanish" :thumb[1]:

Suprising the odd places where they appear, sometimes they are right in front of your nose yet invisible when you make an effort to search.

Jroettger
10-08-2010, 08:47 PM
I would have to agree with you Andros that the rift between this dimension and the adjacent universe is about 3 mm wide. Anything larger is too wide to slip through and can usually be found on the floor. In 25 years of professional service the largest stone I lost was a .07carat diamond. I think it flew into a potted plant.

SVD
10-09-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm betting pretty much everyone already knows this trick but for the few who don't...

Get a strong flashlight - the new little tactical LED lights are great for this.

Hold it right down on the surface and sweep the beam flat across the area. It will highlight everything sticking up above the surface. You may or may not find what you're looking for but at least the first few times you do it you'll be amazed at what you do find.

Jroettger
10-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Steven I use a 250W photo lamp left over from the days when people used film to shoot there work. I keep it in a clip light under my bench at all times so I don't have to go far to get it. Bright is helpful in finding stuff that hasn't fallen into the void.
A classic jeweler joke I once heard is, " A cop pulls a jeweler over and asks him to step out and assume the search position. So the jeweler steps out of his car and gets down on his hands and knees!"