PDA

View Full Version : Special Handpieces Make Special Letters!

MikeDubber
01-23-2013, 07:36 AM
Last week I received a very special Bulino handpiece from Steve Lindsay. It's a beautiful and delicate little thing, and luckily I had a very special job to help break it in!

My entire family surprised me for my 70th with a trip to Captiva, Florida and the group included - along with husbands and grand-daughter - my three daughters-in-law. I wanted Melissa, Karyn and Amie to know how much it meant to me and Janet for their efforts to help plan the trip and to make it a complete surprise to me when the entire group showed up at the Fort Myers Airport!

I cut these from silver stock and used my new Bulino handpiece for all the fine-line scrolls and shading work. I would have made a pendant for Steve, but he probably would not wear it anyway, so this is to say thanks to him for this great little tool.

http://www.fototime.com/2711E6344D236EC/standard.jpg

...and here is the group at the beach - that's Molly on my shoulders!

http://www.fototime.com/7717502302A95A5/standard.jpg

Gotta go - my flight for Reno and the FEGA Show leaves in 2 hours !!

SEngraver
01-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Hi Mike Dubber,

You are 70 ? God bless you my friend.
From your pictures you dont look it at all.
Wish you a pleasant and enjoyable trip.
SE:yo[1]:

MikeDubber
01-23-2013, 08:04 AM
Yes, sorry to say - been at this thing since January 1943 !

Steve Lindsay
01-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Thank you Mike! The pendants for Melissa, Karyn and Amie are wonderful keep sakes and they will become family heirlooms for sure! When I talked to you that day when you were on your surprise birthday vacation I could tell how happy and excited you were that you guys were all together for the celebration. Happy Birthday!! and thank you again!

Daniel Krauss
01-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Mike, wonderful gems that I am sure will be treasured forever. Might I ask what gauge silver stock you used?...Dan

MikeDubber
01-23-2013, 12:27 PM
I had three pieces of sterling left from bracelet stock - 20mm X 18 gauge material.

Bert Edmonston
01-23-2013, 01:04 PM
I had three pieces of sterling left from bracelet stock - 20mm X 18 gauge material.

Those are great looking pendants and the handpiece is interesting!

MikeDubber
01-23-2013, 01:28 PM
It' s a very simple bulino tool - except for the polished Burl walnut handle with brass space ring - and the slender tapered steel shank - and the perfect balance of weight and length, of course, that's all that distinguishes it from all the other clumsy gravers on my bench.

Daniel Krauss
01-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks Mike...safe travels...

G.rohrbaugh
01-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Very nice pieces Mike! Such a wonderful thing you did!

Gary