Thread: Phil Coggan
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Phil Coggan

CREATING A GAME SCENE USING PHOTOSHOP.
I'm going to try to show how I create a gamescene, it is not a magical 'quick fix' that automatically conjures up a fantastic scene!
What I hope it will do is show engravers that are having some problems arranging birds etc. onto a lockplate.
I'm using a step by step approach, this may be a bit boring for seasoned PS users, but bare with me it's aimed at those not familier with this program.

What has to be remembered in PS is that the layers are like pages of a book, ie. No. 1 layer lays on top of No. 2 and so on, also, a layer cannot be worked on unless it is selected, ie. Blue.

First, scan in the bird / animal picture that you want to use, the one i'm using is for demonstration only.
Next, draw around the lockplate using tracing film, and scan into 'My Pictures'.

Open Photoshop, and check that the tools are on the left and Layers and Paths are on the right, if thier not visible click Window > Layers / Paths.
Double click on the grey background, this should open My Pictures. Double click on the 'Plate' image to import it.
In the Layers box grab the Background layer and drag it to the New Layer icon next to the Bin. This will create a new layer, unclick the eye of the locked layer.
Clean up the plate image by, ( Top tool bar ) Image > Adjustments > Brightness / Contrast.
Drag the Brightness slider to about + 20 and the Contrast to about + 40 > OK. ( Makesure 'Preview is ticked.

IMPORT THE BIRDS.
Double click on the grey background. Double click on the Birds image in My Pictures, this should open it in PS.
Enlarge the box as before and select the Magnifying Glass in the 'Tools' on the left. Hold and click the + curser over the bird that you want to use to enlarge, in this case the bottom left one.
Drag the Background Layer as before to create a New layer and untick the Eye of the locked layer.
Click the 'Create New Layer' icon, next to the Bin, this will open an empty layer. Drag this Layer 1 to the Background Layer. You should now see Background copy on top, Layer 1 under it, with the two eyes showing.

CUTTING THE BIRD OUT.
In the Paths box click 'Create New Path', the icon next to the Bin.
In the Tools Box ( left side) right click and hold on the 'Pen' > Pen Tool.
(There's a more accurate way to do this next bit but i'll simplify it.)
Click to add nodes around the outline of the bird, join up with the first one. you should now have a continuous line around the bird.
In the Paths box the 'Load Path as a Selection' (The third icon from the left) This will make marching ants around the bird.
Top tool box > Select > Inverse.
In the Layers box select Background Copy ( Make it Blue ) Edit > Cut.
File > Save As > Save.
Shut down picture,( RED X )

IMPORT THE BIRDS ONTO PLATE.
Double click the grey background and import one of the birds.
Select the'Crop Tool' ( Left Tool Box, third down on left. ) Hold the cursor on the top left corner of bird and drag to make a square. Drag the square nodes on the side of this box until the box fits snuggly around the bird. Double click in the centre of the bird.
Image > Image Size. Set width to 0.4 inch > OK.
'Move Tool' ( Left tool box, top right.) Click on bird drag and drop it over the plate.
Repeat the above until all the birds are on the plate.

ARRANGE AND SIZE.
If you now click the eyes off on the layers one by one you'll see the birds disappear, it's a good idea to double click on the Background Layer name and give the birds names so that you know what is where.
I'm going to move and resize my No 2 bird, so I click the eyes off on the other two. Don't forget YOU CAN'T WORK ON A LAYER UNLESS IT'S SELECTED AND BLUE!
It's a bit too big so.....Edit > Transform > Scale. Holding down Shift and dragging any of the corners will scale up / down uniformly. Ok, i've reduced it, now i'm going to rotate it a little, Edit > Transform > Rotate. Grab any of the corners and rotate. Double click in the centre to apply.

I'm going to do this with the other two birds and then position them where I think they will look good. To do this, click to show all of the eyes, select the 'Move' tool and move one bird at a time by selecting the corresponding Layers.
If the birds lack definition, one at a time click, Image > Adjustments > Autolevels. and then, Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp mask.
Tick Preview, set Radius to 1.9 and slide the Amount until the bird looks ok, but don't overdo this one.
This is where I usually stop, print it off and draw a background scene in from imagination.....But, if you've no imagination, Try this.

BACKGROUND SCENE.
Import the scene as before, drag it into the picture with the 'Move' Tool, Drag Layer 1 to just above 'Background Copy' and name it 'Scene'

Edit > Transform > Scale. This time drag the side of it to fit, use the 'Move' tool to realign, etc.

Select 'Scene' in Layers, click Opacity and move slider to about 47%, now there are better ways to do the next bit but this is easy to explain.

Select the Erasor Tool,( Sixth one down on the left hand side) At the top tool bar select round brush at about 17 %, Opacity 100 %, then carefully erase the parts of the scene that are not needed.
Finaly slide the Layer Opacity back to 100 %

If you want to see it in greyscale.
Image > Mode > Greyscale > Merge.

If you just want a working drawing, ie. the birds without feathers and shading, just trace around the birds from the print, scan and import, then follow the sizing instructions as above.

This might seem like a lot of work to some but once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature and saves a lot of time.
I think that's about it, i've checked most of this but if there's something i've missed I expect someone will tell me.

Phil