View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Platinum

Default Re: An Engraving Puzzle, Multi-Metal Inlays

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDubber
I recenlty completed a Parker Brothers Double 20 Ga. that included a multi-metal inlay of the client's Brittany, his very favorite hunting companion! The client was specific about his dog and I created the original art from a selection of photos that he supplied. I created the finished inlay using five individual pieces of metal cut to fit the various inlay cavities, i.e., "An Engraving Puzzle," Multi Metal Inlays.

I used 24K gold and Argentium Sterling 20Ga sheet for the inlays - cut from the sheets with a jeweler's saw.. The attached photos (these will be entered soon) show the progression of the work from the initial layout on the reciever through the complete inlay. You'll see that the sequence had me doing the silver material first. I do that because the Silver work hardens and I need to be sure I have it fully set before working in the softer gold. Inlay cavities are cut to a depth of about half the material thickness and the teeth are raised prior to setting the inlay material. Once the inlay is set, I removed the background from the vignette area to achive an illusiuon of a fully raised inlay. The Brittany was completed with both fine-line and bulino detail. The Parker 20Ga. will be finished in French Gray with the background inked for contrast.

In advance of the equipment questions that will surely arise, the device I use for holding down inlay material was manufactured by Ray LaTerneau (maker of the LaTerneau Block). You'll also see that I'm using my John Madole "Pilot Wheel Engraver's Block." In case you're unfamiliar with block, Joh Madole made these for a short time before his death- they are an engraver's dream and I'm sorry everyone can't have one! The entire piece of work was done with the Lindsay Palm Graver.