View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Thoughts on tesselation

Wow berry thanks .
At first I was having a real problem understanding what was happening . .
The problem for me was the word “tessellation”
To be honest I was going ; what the heck ???

But then I realized what I know this as is pattern repeat and shift . It took Mrthe’s photo for it to click .
After years upon years in the flooring industry , I could pick up issues near instantaneously . I would drive my wife nuts as every where I went I would point out where contractors had made mistakes
What I never realized however was the use of the hexagon . For some reason I had always pictured in the form of squares . IE whats commonly done in say carpets is that you have a pattern designed in multiple of squares . these are laid out side to side . Lets say those squares are 24x 24

Thus ending up with a pattern repeated width wise of 24inchs . . The next row of squares are shifted by ½ the demission of the square . .
The next row is then shifted back 12 which reproduces the original beginning pattern.
As such we say that a carpet has a 24 inch pattern repeat with a 12 inch shift .

When looking at designs on floors what this does is not only create a pattern that repeats itself in length and width but also in diagonal . So what often looks to be random colors is in fact not .. There is always a repeat . For most folks they never see it . But like you said , once its pointed out , you see it everywhere

That shift is what makes your hexagon . Very cool , thank you i never thougth of it like that