View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 06:41 AM
Steel

Default Seeking advice on choosing an engraving system for stone setting work

Hi Everyone,

I'm a jeweler, mostly doing stone setting in my day to day work. I have never used or even seen a power assisted engraver. I need to buy an engraving system that could help me in my stone setting work and also to start engraving.

I’ve gone through many of the threads and I found this forum has numerous resource personals under one roof and I hope you will share your hard learnt wisdom with me.

At the moment my concerns is that I need to start with engraving involved in micropaving stone settings. If you want to know more of what I mean, please take a look at this video (Time from 01:40 - 04:40)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GUY...a54JK_lb4xObMl

See how the tip cuts through the metal ? That is what I want to do (and some engravings in the future as well). I know that is more of "graving" rather than engraving, but if I buy an engraving system I could do both stone settings and engraving, right ?

Needn't to say I'm on a tight budget, and I was thinking about the Lindsay Artisan AirGraver with a foot control. There are not much videos describing how the Lindsay system works and I found it hard to find if Id be needing anything more to start engraving and stone setting apart from the Artisan hand piece and foot control.

What sort of advantages will I have if I choose Lindsay in stone setting work ?

Do I need the palm control for stone setting ? Or will the Artisan could do with a foot control could handle all the stone setting work? What is the difference of Classic airgraver and Artisan airgraver when it comes to stone setting ? Will I have added advantage if I choose the Classic hand piece if my main concern is stone setting work? Is it worth spending the extra buck if my main concern is stone setting work ?

I've seen there is a tungston dead blow piston but I dont know how it will fit my hand piece or does it come with a hand piece of its own.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me sharing your experience. Especially stone setting work assisted by an Lindsay engraver.

Power assisted engravers are hard to find in Sri Lanka (where I'm from) and therefore trying out and getting hands on experience before buying is not possible in the country. So I will have to buy this entirely based on the experience shared generously by you all.

Thanks in advance

Cheers.

Chathu