View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Fay may come to visit.

Thanks for your involvment Tim. I was a Systems Operator for a local municipal utility on the East coast of Florida (near West Palm Beach) for 18 years and had to deal with hurricanes and intense stoms many times, so I understand your work. I also worked hand-in-hand (actually through electronic means) with the Systems Operators with all the power supply companies in Florida and I can truly say they are the best in the business. The boys in the Tampa area are very well trained and prepared for any storm that may come their way. Florida Power Corporation is good. All the power supply companies go through a very rigid storm preparedness contingency every year before the "season" begins, so they are well prepared. It doesn't say much for the civilians though, many of whom have never experienced a hurricane and think they can ride out a "little blow," much to their dismay when they are in the middle of one and have to rely on professionals to get them out. I always wondered why those in charge just didn't leave them there, kind of like the survival of the fittest (or dumbest), but then again, we are people that care for others in spite of themselves and do what is necessary to save the helpless. OK, enough of my ranting. All you in Florida be careful and prepared for this hurricane season, as it may turn into a bad one this year.