View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Gold

Default Re: Inexpensive way to give it a try: cut widths

bloomerg, I think your .5mm width is about what to expect with a push graver and a 116 face. To go wider you lose control and slip. How hard the metal is also has alot to do with it. Softer metal like copper and silver you can cut deeper, which allows you to roll the graver over more without losing control and slipping, since the heel line is staying in the groove. Then you would be able to get a wider cut than .5 mm. I measured the max width I could get with a 120 graver cutting gold filled which is harder than silver and copper since it is work hardened in the forming- manufacturing process, but alot softer than medium steel. The most width I could get without loosing control was .65mm. And at that width I would not want to make a cut very long. So I think you are on the right track. With air power I believe they can go wider because at the same time they can go deeper. But I have never used air power, so I could be wrong. Someone who does both should be able to confirm or correct me on that. Congrats on being smart and buying the template. You have saved yourself a huge amount of hours of total frustration. Also, keep checking your graver point for damage. It does not take much to damage it, especially when you are new at this. Good Luck, Kevin Scott