View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Platinum

Default Re: "Christine's Fighter" SR Johnson Knifemaker, Barry Lee Hands Engraver

Thanks Rod.
Your observations and grasp of my intent is so succinct I struggle to come up with a reply of equal merit.
You mention tessellation, I put an element in the guard in flush pink gold inlay, that is the framework of this design; the square you can see whose corners are obscured by the leaves.
This square was the basis of the whole design.
I was planning to erase it from the finished design, but since it seemed to compliment the design, insted of erasing it, I inlaid it flush in 22k pink.
On the Pommel, to reflect the same idea, is a circle in flush gold on which the leaf elements are hung.
Also, I deliberately violated the rule of three in my " Four Hands" logo, rather than using three or five.
I was trying to add tension by this violation, but it seems to have added a bit of whimsy.

I may have mentioned before, I don't think of this in euclidean terms, that is, leaves on spiral stems based on the golden mean originating from points of origin, but in Copernican/newtonion/Einstienien terms; my leaves are heavenly bodies of gold describing elliptical orbits around incredibly dense black holes, with cores of neutronium represented by negative space which has been obscured by clouds of invisible mysterious dark matter. . .

By this way of thinking I avoid using euclidean points of origin and utilize Copernican laws of planetary motion applied to ornament.

As I progress I think more and more in tessellated inductive layout.
Even when I set it aside and use deductive layout, working with tessellations changed the way I look at any layout, concieved by any means.

Tom, thank you very much, I like it also.