View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Gold

Default Re: An American engraver in Italy

All power to the Italians I say.

I guess it's a case of "if it aint broke, then don't fix it".

With the way they learn and execute their art of engraving it has a connection that goes back for generations. I also think that the main thing that is overlooked is the design aspect. We have a tendancy to look at the technique side of things and how to use the tools. If we can master the technique, then we can produce work as good as the masters. No we can't.

What makes Fraccassi and Pedersoli's work stand out the most...........not so much their technique (which is amazing) but the designs. The technique is only there to execute the design, not the other way around. The engraving schools from what I have read put a huge amount of emphasis on this side of things. In some cases the student dosn't pick up a graver for months, instead they are taught to draw and design. We overlook that side of things to our own detriment.

I work with a microscope because my eyes arn't the best and I don't know any better. However I can see definate advantages working with a loup or optivisor. On certain part of guns, positioning the work under a scope can be a real pain. Having that freedom of head movement would be a real advantage.

My guess is that if the Italians started using microscopes, air assist gravers, power hones, palm controls, diamond laps, thermolock and all the rest of the gear we use, the work probabley wouldn't get any better as it's already so good.

They put the emphasis on their engraving art where it belongs, the design side of things. The tools are there only to complete the job.

Anyway that's my thought for the day

Cheers
Andrew