View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Platinum

Default Re: what prompted you to buy an AirGraver

When I started engraving, I became an anti air tool snob. The only work done with air tools that I saw looked inferior to the best engraving work i was seeing, which was done with hand powered tools.

During my training, I was required to do at least one project with an air tool, that the school had. This was not a Lindsay tool!

I didn't like it, and I thought the hammer and chisel was easier for me.

I came into contact With Steve when I took over the on line courses offered by MCC in NC. I was new to the web, and when I saw his site, I was floored!

Suddenly, the best engraving I had ever seen was being done with air powered tools!

I didn't know if I would ever get that good, but I was afraid that I had little chance, unless I had the tools that had made that work possible.

To state it briefly, it was the appreciation of beauty, and the desire to create it. Steve's tools are an amazing bridge between the creative impulse, and its realization on metal.

I believe my initial impression and judgement were correct. To achieve that level of work, which I as of yet have not done, it is necessary to have the highest quality tools.

To continue the baseball illustration from above, there are some people who will hit homeruns no matter what kind of bat they use. Then ther are those of us who, with the right bat, and only that bat, can see our fly ball outs turned into grand slams!

Take care,

Tom