View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Copper

Default Re: Lindsay or Grs system

On micro setting i precut everything before i place diamonds ,
..everything is finish - bright cuts are done
i set stones with effect of like " hanging in air " and reflecting like in mirror from the perfect mirror finish bright cuts .
...yes i use tungsten piston and the regular one as well ..i change them accordingly to the situation .
When i start work and remove big chunks of material i use tungsten . but sometime not.. the stainless piston has also enormous power is just different fill more frequency and pretty good speed as well .
I guess it depend a lot on size of the stones to be set hardness of metal and how much mass resistance the piece i'm working on have and how much i can create of that resistance by backing it with shelack , jet set or expending metal mandrell if is a ring ???..

However i use both pistons and love them both .

I did set stones by quick method years ago by placing them in the sits first and cut metal around .
...Not any more ever .. for real high end jewelry i consider this as improper way .
To achieve nice clean masterpiece setting , cut out first all unwanted material ...finish completely then set the stones and bend the prongs over to hold them in place .

All the best ,
Stan