View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Platinum

Default Engraving styles and pics.

A friend asked me to do a post on basic engraving styles and sample pics. Some of it you have seen before on other threads. Here it is.

There are as many names for differing varieties of scroll as there are engravers and engraving collectors, but I will do what I can to share some of the knowledge I have gleaned from others through thirty odd years of studying ornament and its history to put names that I would use on the styles in the following photos..If you have other names or descriptions for these, please share them. . . .

Acanthus on a Manton circa 1819:

Acanthus by Harry Kell:

Acanthus with multi color gold inlay by Ken Hunt circa 1954, RH lockplate:
Acanthus with multi color gold inlay by Lynton S.M. MacKenzie circa 1970,LH lockplate:
Ken's work on the upper lockplate exhibits a celtic influence in the perforated ribbon incorporated in the scroll stem.

A negative of a smoke pull of Acanthus by Barry Lee Hands 2001:

Arabesque Damascene, actually made in Damascus, from the Madrassa of the Ali Hussien Mosque in Cairo, circa 1350:

Modern Japanese Damascene work:

Arabesque by Barry Lee Hands, contemporary:

Roman vine ornament from the early Christian era, probably chiseled by immigrant Greek craftsman. It bears a strong resemblance to modern Germanic and Arabesque ornament.

American vine scroll, Gustave Young school:

Germanic small scroll by Griebel, mid 1900’s:

Detail of Germanic scroll by Joseph Fugger, early 1960’s:

English scroll on a Kavanagh, some may call this large scroll in the context of English style.

Boss rose and scroll, or bouquet and scroll with running scroll border by Barry Lee Hands for a David Trevallion restoration:

I would call this an open vine scroll, it is an Acanthus variation. I would like to hear anyones opinions of the proper term and date for this style:

And this is more of the same, on a Westley Richards?

Acanthus with clamshell terminus and Celtic rope border:

Well worn Birmingham English scroll with open scroll elements, running scroll lockplate border and open vine with rose bud action border:

The same piece restored:

Work by Francesca Fracassi. The style is Fracassi, as developed by Firmo Fracassi. The tool used to execute it is a Bulino tool.

Detail:

Bulino work tiger by creative arts with chiseled and relieved laurel, or olive derived leafwork:

Etched and punched sculpted work by Barry lee Hands:

Multicolor Inlay by Barry Lee Hands 2008: