View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Platinum

Default Re: thoughts

again thank you for you posts folks .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbler
Thanks Charles for your answer //

Another question never have done any engraving // What is the difference between a chase and a push graver I assume the obvious with push and would think the other is used in a pull fashion???
Well a simple description is
push graving is done with a graver held in the palm of the hand thus pushing the graver through the material sometimes turning the material into the graver .
Chase graving is basically where using a chase hammer you tap the end of the graver , pushing it through the material .

Folks sometimes use both methods in their works , using the chase method for heavier work and the push method for most time lighter work .
Most certainly both methods can do both light and heavy work , its all dependant on the tools used

Nether method is push pull , its all done in a forward action changing the angle or direction you attack the material at .. One derection for the outside of a scroll , another for the inside , so on and so forth .
If you take a look at Mr Lindsay’s short video clips , you will see him turn is vice . Attacking the works from different directions depending of what areas he may be working on .

Now again , I am no where near being an accomplished engraver so if im wrong in my descriptions or nomenclature. Please correct me .
I have ask some other very accomplished artisans to come and see Mr Lindsay’s site and all you folks work posted here , as well as this tool because frankly I don’t think outside of main stream engraving circles , its well known.

This is also why I posted this subject as I look at it very much in the same way as the rifles I and others make .
If we don’t pass on our knowledge in these areas , even if its just rudimentary knowledge, because of a fear of losing something in the process , then eventually the amount of folks who can do this work. Again be it rifle making , engraving , jewelry, different disciplines in oil painting or what have you . Then those disciplines begin to die off and we lose the capability and understanding of such works and can only stand back an look with amazement at the finished products that people in the past were capable of doing

Maybe this is what happened to this style of engraving and relief work we are discussing .
While we assume that it stopped because of a change in habits or preferences, I think it could also have been from overly guarding of the processes needed to accomplish it