View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Steel

Default Re: what prompted you to buy an AirGraver

Hi,
I bought an Airgraver because I could not see the tip of my chisel well enough anymore to do detail work. I had no problem using a hand graver, which allowed me to huddle over the work and see everything well (with magnification) but that method did not work well for the deep cuts on steel. I was not going to invest in a microscope so I investigated the pneumatic tools. I became convinced by looking at websites and forums online, that the Lindsay system was the best. Therefore, I bought a classic and away I went. My decision was spot on. Steve Lindsay's tools, including the sharpening jigs, are the some of the biggest aids to my engraving along with learning to draw well. As far as engraving influences, I am mostly inspired by the nameless engravers of firearms from the 16th-19th centuries. That is the work I try to emulate since my passion is recreating early firearms. While I admire and am often mesmerized by modern work, I do not aspire to it simply because I have no interest in modern firearms and the designs and styles simply do not look appropriate on the early guns.

dave