View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Copper

Default Re: Lindsay or Grs system

Hi, everyone-

The metal I use most for chasing and repoussage is fine silver. I use 20ga. (.8mm) most of the time. 4-8mm of relief is not a problem if you take it in stages and anneal fairly often. It's even possible to undercut raised areas, to get a "floating" effect. Here's a thumbnail of a rose I did that way, and a view from the side showing the relief. It's about 2 inches (50mm) wide. The center fin on the fish is about 6mm up from the edges.

I always feel I haven't gotten the most out of the metal unless I tear through it in at least one place. Hard solder fixes those tears.

I am using the the Air Graver on a current project. It takes time to make even a basic set of chasing tools (I have around 200 punches in my set.), so it will be a while before I can make a good comparison, but initially it seems like it will be a real time saver. At this point, I'm thinking that it will be most useful on the earlier, roughing out stages, simply because the effect of so many tiny blows is so smooth that the handmade character of the piece could be lost. This is just an aesthetic preference, like the choice between oil painting and airbrush work, either of which can be done well or not.

JamesRose chasing.jpg

Rose chasing, side.jpg

Fish chasing.jpg