View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Platinum

Default Re: The Budweiser A & Eagle

The Lindsay PalmControl was born for this kind of fine detail!

Furthermore, the lightness of touch allows the engraver to engrave on soft 24K gold with confidence. I used the PalmControl at its lightest setting and it took very little "push" to accuratley guide the Lindsay System Universal grind graver throught the cuts. This Browning Citori action was hand-polished to a very bright sheen and good photography (for me) was difficult, but you can see some of the detail.

Now I'm ready to return it to Browning for bluing and reassembly, and after that it will be forwarded to the Colorado Ducks Unlimited organization so they can start promoting the gun for the State auction. It will not be possible for me to show the 2009 gun on this Tutorial after it is blued.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

What I can show you is a photo of the 2008 gun. This is the 12Ga. Browning that has been around the various State of Colorado DU Chapter Auction Dinners during the past year. A Budweiser Beer Stein has been sold at each of the 92 local banquets - and the name of each of those aution winners will be placed into a barrel for a final raffle drawing. It will be awarded to the new owner at the DU State Convention this month!

__________________________________________________ ___________________
"Raised Inlays"

Now, let's take this one step forward: using the exact same process we can also create "raised gold inlays" using the same wire inlay techniques, but, instead of filing off the surface to make them flush, we can model them to creat the raised effect. The following photos are of a Colt SAA work-in-progress - the first shows the identical cavity process as in the Browning Bud Gun.

The wires were inlayed (gold and platinum in this case) as before, the Colt Dome was modeled and the background was removed to create an higher raised effect.

__________________________________________________ _________________

And.....this antique Doulble Colt Inlay was done using the same techiques.

__________________________________________________ __________________

I sincerely hope everyone enjoyed this tutorial. I'm sure that it generated many additional questions. If you want to study these techniques further and in detail, please watch for my class offerings for 2009.

Thanks,

Mike Duber