View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Palm control vise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shepherd View Post
Steve

A couple more questions on the PC vise. The slot for the jaws, I can't quite see or figure out if they are tee slots or dove tail machined slots?

The top jaws or what you might call the set in black, I don't see pins to drop into the bottom jaws how do they connect. Are the bottom jaws threaded to accept them or are there pins?

Steve
The jaws slide in the PC vise similar to John Madaole's pilot wheel vise. It is a hole that is partially exposed at the top for a matting cylinder attached to the jaw.

A pin plate is attached to a jaw using two screws. There is also a hole in the center of the jaw and bottom of the pin plate where a dowel pin can be used to permit one jaw to pivot (used without the screws). I prefer pin plates that screw on like this, similar to the GlideLock vise jaws. This is so that custom wood jaws can be made by the user to hold whatever object he or she is engraving. To make the wood jaws, start with 3/4" thick wood, cut it to the size and shape needed and drill two 3/16" diameter holes 1" apart. After a few years you have a drawer full of wood jaws to chose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Steve I ask out of total ignorance. Did you have a special need in mind when you designed this vise? Before today I had not heard of a P C vice.
Thanks
cassie
Hey Cassie, The vise is meant to be a nicely made mid sized, that is still heavy/large enough to be comfortable to use yet light enough it can be hauled around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail View Post
Well, I posted last night after Daniel, hoping for #3, but I don't see my post anywhere? At any rate, I would also like to be on the list for whatever # and I do hope they are numbered as we all know they are not mass produced in some foreign land.
Thanks,
Gail
Hi Gail, Okay I have you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISHOKENMEI View Post
Steve, Can I reserve 007?

Thanks

DJ
Okay, DJ on one for you too.

I wasn't planning on having serial numbers on them. When I brought the AirGraver out in 2000 I engraved serial numbers on them. Then I heard reports from customers that the competitor would call some of them to ask what serial number was on their handpiece, as if they were keeping count. So I stopped placing serial numbers on the AirGravers at number 100. Probably best to keep them in the dark. I'll think about numbering these first few PC vises though. Maybe the first 30 or so could be numbered and then stop numbering them.
EngravingArtist.com