View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Barry Lee Hands... works in progress

Wow, I am impressed by all the interest, thanks everyone.

Thanks MRTE, I think it is a Lindsay universal parallel point, sharpened with the template.
If not, it is a 45 degree square graver sharpened with a 1/8 rod on a 2000 grit diamond stone.

Hi Rod, I am glad you like the background, a simple "Brummie" (Birmingham) style parallel line background.
You see it a lot on the Holland Singe shots.
I cut the scroll, then use a straght edge to draw some guide lines across the work with a fine feltpen, then I cut them by eye, spacing them as the tool wishes to cut them.
Never fight the tool, the tool is your friend.

Yes Tom, that works.

Thanks Ray, love youir work.

Bert, what we usually call english scroll is actually german scroll, they have been doing it for hundreds of years.
I call this " Small Tessellated scroll"as it is laid out in a tessellated manner, (It is laid out on a hexagon, can you imagine it under the scriolls?) an ancient greek technique often associated with traditional Islamic ornament, I'll bet the germans got it from the turks, who got it from the Arabs, who got it from the Greeks hehe.
So maybe it is really small Greek scroll. . . . .
In any case, you dont really see it much in England until 1850 or thereabouts.

Yes Tim, experience helps, and as this is ornament, and jewelry is ornament, this is jewelry.

Redgreen, I couldn't really say whether I recut the edge or not, when I go through the first time , it is full depth, if I go through again to knock out burrs, I just kind of slide through, and dont try to widen everything, because if you do, you need to recut everything.
It is just best to be neat and tidy where required from the start.