Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Default Very young engravers - Reno - PalmControl

During the Reno show a father and three kids walked by the table and I asked if they would like to try engraving. The older boy engraved for maybe ten minutes. He did very well and before he was finished he was even starting to become artistic with his cuts. His brother and sister then each had a turn. They took two of the steel practice plates home. I showed them a scroll on the back side of one of the plates that Barry Hands had engraved. They were excited to have a plate that a famous engraver cut. After they left, I checked the graver point on the PalmControl they had used thinking that I would need to resharpen, but the kids didn't break the point during that whole time.

EngravingArtist.com
Old 02-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover
Default Re: Very young engravers - Reno - PalmControl

that is so dang cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://learningtoengrave.com/
Old 02-02-2008, 02:47 AM
Gold

now thats the age one should start learning.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:32 AM
Platinum

Steve you were so good with everyone that stopped with question and you spent alot of time with each one...
It was great meeting you and I've hooked up the foot control for stippling and it's just what I needed...
Now I can sell all my gsr equiptment...
Would you like to trade for a palm control... Ha! Ha! Ha!
Jerry
Old 02-02-2008, 05:41 AM
Gold

No wonder you had a lot of people showing up at your table with all those neat tools around. Those young kids look like they had a ball. That is reallly neat. Jack
Old 02-02-2008, 08:36 AM

The most wonderful part is that he brought his kids at all. Exposure, exposure, exposure! You can't show your kids enough stuff to peak their interests in different things in life while they are still kids. It can't be overdone.

Every day I try to show my boys something new, come out to the shop and watch me make something and get them to working with a lathe or silver solder or taking a watch apart and overhauling it or anything else I can think of. If we don't do this for our children they'll just sit in front of the TV playing one of those damned boxes and wasting their youth.

I call them an electronic baby sitter and they're only good in moderation, not as a favorite past time. So my hat is off to that man for exposing his kids to the show and what it had to offer. You never know what sinks in and stays put.

My Grandpa had 4 guns engraved in American scroll while he was stationed in Japan in the 50's. Those guns and the admiration of them all my life is what got me started engraving; I only wish I'd started earlier. Here's two of those guns.